Complementary books to the Greiner series?

• Solid State
  • Thread starter FourEyedRaven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Series
In summary, the conversation discussed potential complementary books for the Greiner theoretical physics series. Thorne's "Modern Classical Physics" and Chaikin's "Principles of Condensed Matter" were suggested, with the latter being the most doubtful due to its lack of coverage on solid state physics. The conversation also mentioned the importance of condensed matter physics and requested input from those with knowledge and experience in the field.
FourEyedRaven
Hi.

What books would be good to complement the Greiner theoretical physics series?

Greiner covers Newtonian mechanics, analytical mechanics, electrodynamics, thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics (at great length), relativistic quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, particle physics and nuclear physics.

I was thinking of two books:

(1) Thorne's "Modern Classical Physics" for optics, fluid dynamics, elastodynamics, plasma physics, general relativity, and introductory level cosmology and astrophysics.
(2) Chaikin's "Principles of Condensed Matter" for, well, condensed matter physics.

The one I'm most doubtful about is condensed matter physics. The Greiner books, especially the volume with statistical physics, touch a bit on condensed matter physics, but I suspect it wouldn't be enough education in condensed matter physics given the importance of the field today.

What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Solid state physics (with its subtheories of theoretical electronics and semiconductor physics), mechanics of deformable media and theoretical optics are indeed left aside by the great book series. I would choose the book by Ch. Kittel for the first topic.

Likes FourEyedRaven
Thanks.

I chose the label "solid state" for this topic because there's no "condensed matter" label.

I imagine that Thorne's "Modern Classical Physics" and Chaikin's "Principles of Condensed Matter Physics" are good enough to cover both the classical and quantum parts of condensed matter physics. They seem to have the same depth and breadth that the Greiner books have in the treatment of their topics.

But since condensed matter physics is so far from my current frontier of knowledge in physics, I need help from people with knowledge and experience.

Chaikin, I believe does not touch anything with regards to symmetries in semiconductors which I would say is extremely important in condensed matter physics.

1. What is the Greiner series and why would I need complementary books?

The Greiner series is a collection of textbooks covering various topics in theoretical physics. It is a comprehensive resource for students and researchers in the field. Complementary books provide additional information and perspectives on the topics covered in the Greiner series, allowing for a deeper understanding and broader knowledge of the subject.

2. How do I choose the right complementary book for the Greiner series?

The best way to choose a complementary book for the Greiner series is to first identify the specific topic or area of interest within theoretical physics. Then, research and read reviews of different complementary books to determine which one aligns with your learning goals and complements the Greiner series effectively.

3. Can complementary books be used as standalone resources without the Greiner series?

Yes, complementary books can be used as standalone resources for studying theoretical physics. However, they are designed to supplement the Greiner series and may not cover all the foundational concepts and theories in detail.

4. Are there any recommended complementary books for specific volumes in the Greiner series?

Some complementary books are specifically recommended by the authors for certain volumes in the Greiner series. However, it is always best to research and compare multiple options to find the most suitable complementary book for your needs.

5. Can I find complementary books for the Greiner series in other languages?

Yes, many complementary books for the Greiner series are available in multiple languages. However, it is important to check the language of the original Greiner series volume to ensure that the complementary book is a good match and provides accurate information.