Best resources to learn topological condensed matter in 2022?

In summary, resources for beginners include books, courses, and reviews. The level of mathematical understanding required is not important, but the comprehensiveness and clarity of the research is.
Amentia
Hello,

I was not sure whether this should belong to this section or the condensed matter section. I am wondering if after about 15 years in research in topological condensed matter, there exist well-recognized references for beginners in the topic. Books or courses but also review articles, videos, online courses, any format.

I call a beginner someone who knows nothing about topology but will make any necessary effort to understand the mathematics needed to get into the topic. So the mathematical level needed to understand the resources does not matter, but how comprehensive and well-explained the field of research is, that is what matters!

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Altland and Simmons book contains a chapter of it, you can start from there.

Likes Amentia and vanhees71
Thank you both for your answers. I already have the book by Altland and Simmons called Condensed Matter Field Theory, so I assume it is the one you refer to. I only need to find the chapter now! And the Nobel review looks great to start learning about the topic.

For interested people I have also found this online course which is recent, so I don't know how good it is, but I will give it a try:
https://www.edx.org/course/topological-states-of-matter

And also an older one at this address:
https://topocondmat.org/

Amentia said:
I only need to find the chapter now!
in 2nd edition its chapter 9.

Likes Amentia
I bit off topic, but I have to say that I find all these topological applications very disappointing. It may be simply because I haven't seen enough, but everything that I have looked at has very little topology in it. I would like to see some applications where the topology needed is more than what Maxwell knew (implicitely) about topology, after all topolygy has been developed a lot since the mid 19th century.

Likes The Bill

1. What is topological condensed matter?

Topological condensed matter is a field of physics that studies the properties of materials in which the behavior of electrons is governed by topology, a branch of mathematics that describes the properties of objects that remain unchanged under continuous deformations.

2. What are some good resources for learning about topological condensed matter?

Some good resources for learning about topological condensed matter include textbooks such as "Topological Insulators and Topological Superconductors" by B. Andrei Bernevig and "Topology in Condensed Matter" by Michael El-Batanouny. Online resources such as lecture notes and video lectures from universities like MIT and Caltech are also helpful.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to learn about topological condensed matter?

While a strong background in mathematics is certainly helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of advanced mathematical concepts to learn about topological condensed matter. Basic knowledge of linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations is usually sufficient.

4. Are there any specific software or programming languages that are useful for studying topological condensed matter?

Yes, there are several software packages and programming languages that are commonly used in the study of topological condensed matter. These include MATLAB, Python, and Mathematica, which are useful for numerical simulations and data analysis, as well as specialized software like Kwant and Quantum Espresso.

5. What are some current research topics in topological condensed matter?

Some current research topics in topological condensed matter include the discovery and characterization of new topological materials, the development of topological quantum computing, and the study of topological phases of matter in low-dimensional systems. Other areas of interest include topological superconductivity, topological magnetism, and topological photonics.