Pop-sci books about condensed matter physics or superconductivity?

In summary, the person is looking for technical pop-sci books on condensed matter physics and/or superconductivity that are similar to the "A Very Short Introduction" series or the Feynman lectures. They are aware of a "Very Short Introduction" book on superconductivity but feel it doesn't provide enough detail. They have also mentioned two older books and a podcast for further information. They are interested in learning about the potential applications of superconductors and would like to know the characteristics to consider when applying them to different applications.
hudsonj
I was wondering if anyone knows of any technical pop-sci books about condensed matter physics and/or superconductivity that are at the technical level of something like the "A Very Short Introduction" series or the Feynman lectures. That is, something that goes sufficiently into depth into the topic/field but doesn't require a degree to understand or grasp.
I am aware that a "Very Short Introduction" for superconductivity exists, found here (and is one I'd recommend as a complete introduction to the topic), but I feel it doesn't go into as much detail as I wanted, especially when talking about the potential application of superconductors outside of just listing them.

Thanks in advance

*To clarify, I am currently studying physics at A Level (Senior equivalent in the US I think)

Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
I just heard an “In Our Time” podcast on superconductivity.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001hfpc

I can recommend two old books.
The quest for absolute zero (1966)
Out of the crystal maze (1992) This one is a hard read.

Likes vanhees71 and hudsonj
hudsonj said:
... but I feel it doesn't go into as much detail as I wanted, especially when talking about the potential application of superconductors outside of just listing them.
Do you want to know what characteristics to consider when applying superconductors to any application, or do you have a specific application in mind ?

Baluncore said:
Do you want to know what characteristics to consider when applying superconductors to any application, or do you have a specific application in mind ?
I guess both

1. What is condensed matter physics?

Condensed matter physics is a branch of physics that studies the physical properties of materials in their solid and liquid states. This includes the behavior of atoms and molecules, as well as the collective behavior of electrons, atoms, and molecules in materials.

2. What are some examples of condensed matter?

Examples of condensed matter include metals, semiconductors, polymers, and liquids such as water and oil. These materials are made up of large numbers of atoms or molecules that interact with each other, giving rise to unique physical properties.

3. What is superconductivity?

Superconductivity is a phenomenon in which certain materials can conduct electricity without any resistance or loss of energy. This occurs at very low temperatures, typically below -200 degrees Celsius, and allows for the efficient transmission of electricity in various applications.

4. What are some potential applications of superconductivity?

Some potential applications of superconductivity include high-speed trains, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and particle accelerators. It also has potential uses in energy storage and transmission, as well as in quantum computing and communication.

5. Are there any current challenges in the study of condensed matter physics and superconductivity?

Yes, there are still many challenges in these fields, including understanding the mechanisms behind superconductivity, finding new materials with higher superconducting temperatures, and developing practical applications for superconductors. There is also ongoing research to better understand and control the properties of materials at the nanoscale level.