Good Condensed Matter Physics Books and Semiconductor Physics Books

In summary, the conversation is about a request for recommendations on condensed matter physics and semi-conductor physics study books. The speaker mentions owning and reading a basic solid state physics book and suggests supplementing it with video lectures. They also mention not having experience with other books and will try to find more information based on the listener's background, education, and goals.
cemtu
Can you please recommend me some condensed matter physics study books and semi-conductor physics study books? Much Appreciated!

Likes atyy and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you already know about it?

Are you looking for a first introduction or a more advanced treatment?

The only Solid State physics book that I own and have read (except for condensed matter field theory books) is this one https://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/oxford-solid-state-basics as you can see, there is also video lectures available to supplement the book. It is very basic and does not assume anything about the topics in beforehand.

I think it is an ok book but have nothing to compare with. I have not looked at the video lectures. We had Kittles book in my university class but I did not read it.

Last edited:
Likes atyy and vanhees71
Let me see my crystal ball to find your background, education and goal. I'll come back to you.

• Haha
Likes malawi_glenn and vanhees71

1. What are some good introductory books on condensed matter physics?

Some good introductory books on condensed matter physics include "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel, "Solid State Physics" by Neil W. Ashcroft and N. David Mermin, and "Condensed Matter Physics" by Michael P. Marder.

2. What are some advanced books on condensed matter physics?

Some advanced books on condensed matter physics include "The Oxford Solid State Basics" by Steven H. Simon, "Condensed Matter Field Theory" by Alexander Altland and Ben Simons, and "Quantum Field Theory of Many-Body Systems" by Xiao-Gang Wen.

3. Are there any good books specifically on semiconductor physics?

Yes, there are many good books specifically on semiconductor physics. Some popular ones include "Semiconductor Physics and Devices" by Donald A. Neamen, "Introduction to Semiconductor Physics" by Holger T. Grahn, and "Semiconductor Physics and Applications" by M. Balkanski, R. Fournier, and J. L. Leroy.

4. What are some good books on the electronic properties of materials?

Some good books on the electronic properties of materials include "Electronic Properties of Materials" by Rolf E. Hummel, "Electronic Structure: Basic Theory and Practical Methods" by Richard M. Martin, and "Electronic Structure: Principles and Applications" by Jeff C. Phillips.

5. Are there any textbooks that cover both condensed matter physics and semiconductor physics?

Yes, there are textbooks that cover both condensed matter physics and semiconductor physics. Some examples include "Semiconductor Physics and Applications" by M. Balkanski, R. Fournier, and J. L. Leroy, and "Semiconductor Physics and Devices" by Donald A. Neamen, which also covers the electronic properties of materials.