Planck's law of radiation?

In summary, Planck's law of radiation is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that describes the emission and absorption of electromagnetic radiation by matter. It states that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency and inversely proportional to its wavelength. This law has been crucial in understanding the behavior of light and its interactions with matter, and has paved the way for many advancements in technology, such as the development of lasers and LED lights.
Callisto
Planck's law of radiation??

Hi, can anybody help me with this problem?

Planck's law of radiation for a blackbody radiator quantifies the relation between it's radiative flux and wavelength at a particular temperature.
given by:
F(w)=C1/[w^5(exp(C2/wT)-1]

where, w=wavelength, C1 and C2 are constants and T is the absolute temperature.

My problem is , I have to show that the peak radiative flux of the Planck spectrum varies as the fourth power of temperature.
Do i need to do some integration of Plancks law to show this?
If so, where do i start? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I have to show that the peak radiative flux of the Planck spectrum varies as the fourth power of temperature.
I think you mean the "total radiative flux," not the "peak radiative flux."

If so, simply integrate your formula over all values of wavelength.

Here's a page that might help:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/stefan2.html#c1

- Warren

Hi there,

To show that the peak radiative flux varies as the fourth power of temperature, you do not need to perform any integration of Planck's law. You can simply use the fact that the peak of the Planck spectrum occurs at the wavelength where the derivative of Planck's law with respect to wavelength is equal to zero.

To find this wavelength, we can take the derivative of Planck's law with respect to wavelength and set it equal to zero:

dF/dw = (-5C1C2/w^6) * (exp(C2/wT)-1) + (C1C2T/w^7) * (exp(C2/wT)) = 0

Simplifying this expression, we get:

5exp(C2/wT) - 5 = C2T/w

We can then rearrange this equation to solve for the wavelength at the peak of the spectrum:

w = C2T / [5ln(5) - 5ln(exp(C2/wT))]

Now, we can substitute this value of wavelength into Planck's law to find the peak radiative flux:

Fpeak = C1/[w^5(exp(C2/wT)-1)] = C1/[C2^5T^5 / (5ln(5) - 5ln(exp(C2/wT)))^5 * (exp(C2/wT)-1)]

Simplifying this expression, we get:

Fpeak = (C1C2^5T^4) / [(5ln(5)-5ln(exp(C2/wT)))^5 * (exp(C2/wT)-1)]

We can see that the peak radiative flux is directly proportional to the fourth power of temperature, as required. Therefore, we have shown that the peak radiative flux of the Planck spectrum varies as the fourth power of temperature without needing to perform any integration. I hope this helps!

What is Planck's law of radiation?

Planck's law of radiation is a physical law that describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body at a given temperature. It states that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, and the total energy emitted by a black body is equal to the integral of the spectral density over all frequencies.

Who discovered Planck's law of radiation?

Max Planck, a German physicist, first proposed this law in 1900 as a way to explain the spectral distribution of energy emitted by a black body at different temperatures.

What is a black body?

A black body is an idealized object that absorbs all incoming radiation and emits radiation at all frequencies. It is a theoretical concept used to understand and explain the behavior of real objects that emit and absorb radiation, such as stars and planets.

Why is Planck's law important?

Planck's law is an important concept in physics and is used to explain various phenomena, such as the spectral distribution of energy emitted by a black body, the emission of light by stars and planets, and the absorption and emission of radiation in the Earth's atmosphere. It also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the atomic and subatomic world.

How is Planck's law applied in real life?

Planck's law is applied in various fields, including astronomy, astrophysics, and engineering. For example, it is used to calculate the temperature of stars based on their spectral energy distribution, design thermal radiation shields for spacecraft, and develop more efficient solar panels. It is also used in medical imaging, such as in infrared thermography, to detect and measure temperature differences in the human body.