Rotational Symmetry: Deriving Delta X & Delta Y

In summary, at 34:30 in Lenny Susskind's lectures on modern classical mechanics on youtube, he writes two translation formulas on the board: delta X = - epsilon Y and delta Y = epsilon X. These equations can be derived by performing a rotation matrix on a vector and for an infinitesimal angle, the equations become delta x = - epsilon y and delta y = - epsilon x. This explanation was found on mathworld.wolfram.com and the person asking for help was satisfied with the response.
adkinje
I've been following along with Lenny Susskinds lectures on modern classical mechanics on youtube.

at 34:30 he writes a few translation formulas on the board:
delta X = - epsilon Y
delta Y = epsilon X

It's not obvious to me why these equations are true. I can't seem to find a derivation anywhere, nor can I work one out myself. Any help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't watched the video, but if you perform a http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RotationMatrix.html" by an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] about the [itex]z[/itex] axis on the vector [itex] {\bf r} = \left(x,y,z\right) [/itex], you get [itex] r' = r + \Delta r = \left(\cos \theta x - \sin \theta y, \sin \theta x + \cos \theta y ,z\right) [/itex]. For [itex]\theta = \epsilon[/itex] infinitesimal, this becomes [itex] r' = r + \delta r = \left(x - \epsilon y, \epsilon x + y ,z\right) = r + \left(- \epsilon y, \epsilon x ,0\right) [/itex], so that [itex] \delta x = - \epsilon y[/itex] and [itex] \delta y = - \epsilon x[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, that's what I was looking for.

1. What is rotational symmetry?

Rotational symmetry is a type of symmetry in which a shape or object can be rotated around a central point and still look the same. This means that the shape has multiple lines of symmetry, with each line dividing the shape into two identical halves.

2. How is rotational symmetry measured?

Rotational symmetry is measured by the number of times a shape or object can be rotated around its central point and still look the same. This number is known as the order of rotational symmetry.

3. What is the formula for calculating rotational symmetry?

The formula for calculating rotational symmetry is: Order of rotational symmetry = 360 degrees / Angle of rotation.

4. How does rotational symmetry relate to Delta X and Delta Y?

Rotational symmetry can be used to calculate the changes in the x and y coordinates of a shape or object when it is rotated. Delta X and Delta Y represent the change in the x and y coordinates, respectively, after a rotation of a certain angle.

5. What is the significance of deriving Delta X and Delta Y in rotational symmetry?

Deriving Delta X and Delta Y is important in rotational symmetry because it helps us understand how a shape or object changes when rotated. This can be useful in various applications, such as in creating symmetrical designs or in solving mathematical problems involving rotational symmetry.