Register to reply

Row of a matrix is a vector along the same degree of freedom

by Gear300
Tags: john baez, transpose
Share this thread:
Gear300
Oct29-09, 02:51 PM
P: 1,133
A particular introduction to matrices involved viewing them as an array/list of vectors (column vectors) in Rn. The problem I see in this is that it is sort of like saying that a row of a matrix is a vector along the same degree of freedom (elements of the same row are elements of different vectors all in the same dimension). So from this, technically, the scalar product of a column vector v and row1 of a matrix A should only exist as a product between the elements of row1 of the matrix A and row1 of the column vector v...which doesn't seem right (since matrix-vector multiplication Av is defined as a column vector of dot products between the vector v and rows of A). How would one geometrically interpret a matrix?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
tiny-tim
Oct30-09, 05:03 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,160
Quote Quote by Gear300 View Post
So from this, technically, the scalar product of a column vector v and row1 of a matrix A should only exist as a product between the elements of row1 of the matrix A and row1 of the column vector v...

which doesn't seem right (since matrix-vector multiplication Av is defined as a column vector of dot products between the vector v and rows of A).
Hi Gear300!

Technically, row vectors are transpose vectors,

so the first row of A is is not the vector a1 (say), but the transpose vector a1T.

Then your scalar product in matrix form is (a1T)v,

but in ordinary form is a.v
How would one geometrically interpret a matrix?
Dunno , except that I always think of a matrix as being a rule that converts one vector into another vector.
mikeph
Oct30-09, 06:00 AM
P: 1,212
I understand matrices as operators, like you may have basis vectors (x,y,z all normal), you can have basis functions (such as sin(nx) for n=1,2,3...) which any periodic function can be decomposed into using Fourier series. Then the function can be represented completely by a column vector containing the amplitude of each frequency, and the matrix multiplication will output a new function. So in that sense you might represent a matrix geometrically by a series of "before and after" functions!

Then again this is just fun speculation... the most fundamental way of expressing a matrix geometrically is probably by a discrete 2-D plot, f(m,n) = the (m,n)th element of the matrix.

Gear300
Oct30-09, 09:52 AM
Row of a matrix is a vector along the same degree of freedom

I see...good stuff so far...Thanks for all the replies.
tiny-tim
Nov1-09, 04:56 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,160
Hi Gear300!

I've found a page on john baez's excellent website which shows the relation between the ordinary and the matrix representation of the same equation, and where the transpose fits in

if ω is the (instantaneous) angular velocity, then the rotational kinetic energy is both:

1/2 ω.L
and (without the "dot")
1/2 ωTL = 1/2 ωTω

where L is the (instantaneous) angular momentum, and is the moment of inertia tensor, both measured relative to the centre of mass.
Gear300
Nov1-09, 08:48 AM
Thanks a lot for the link tiny-tim.

So, its sort of like saying that for an m x p matrix with n being a dimensional space, you could label the rows (going down) from n = 1 to n = m and you could also label the columns (going across) from n = 1 to n = p, right?

Register to reply