Register to reply

Triplets and wave function

Share this thread:
Joqe
Nov24-09, 01:19 PM
P: 6
Hi

According top Hunds rule I have a [tex]^{3}P[/tex] term which should be the term for the ground state for a [tex]2p^{2}[/tex] shell (in this case the outer sub-shell), this means that I have a triplet state and thus a symmetric wave function for the spinn. Since the electrons are femions the total wave function should be anti-symmetric, this means that my spartial wave functions must be anti-symmetric.

My problem arises when I'm trying to construct a anti-symmetric spartial wave function and give it in Hydronic spatial wave function. I use

[tex]\psi_{spatial}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left[\psi_{a}(1)\psi_{b}(2)-\psi_{b}(1)\psi_{a}(2)\right][/tex]

to create the anti-symmetric wave function. But quantum number [tex]{l} = {1}[/tex] for all the electron and quantum number [tex]{m_{l}} = {-1},{0},{1}[/tex] for all the electorns. This will lead to that the anti-symmetric wave function allways is equal to 0.

Can someone please help me?

Regareds
/Joqe
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history

Register to reply