[Quantum mechanics] How about this book?

by FluffyFriend
Tags: book, mechanics, quantum
FluffyFriend
Dec16-09, 07:31 PM
P: 8
Gennaro Auletta's Quantum Mechanics, any of you folks read this book before? Is it okay for beginners?

Also, can anyone please recommend me one or two text books on quantum physics? It's better be employed by well-renowned American universities/colleges. And the authors better be American or English. The authors of the book I mentioned in the prior paragraph are all Italians.

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Internet co-creator Cerf debunks 'myth' that US runs it
Astronomical forensics uncover planetary disks in Hubble archive
Solar-powered two-seat Sunseeker airplane has progress report
rhenretta
Dec17-09, 11:20 AM
P: 66
I personally just finished the Feynman lectures in the book QED: The strange theory of light and matter. I found that one fascinating and finished all four lectures in four days.

Also, Brian Cox recently released a fascinating book, Why does E=mc^2, and why should I care. This one is heavier in relativity and less on quantum theory, but he does go into both. He stays out of the math, which depending on your perspective may be a good thing or a bad thing. I definitely consider this one a good starting point.

Lastly, if you haven't already, Microsoft has released all 7 feynman messenger lectures online for free. Definitely worth a watch.
http://research.microsoft.com/apps/tools/tuva/
LithiumHelios
Dec17-09, 01:07 PM
P: 61
Auletta's book is quite nice (it's not with me right now but back at uni) but I'm not sure I would recommend it for absolute beginners. Instead look at texts such as those by A.C.Phillips or D.J.Griffiths. Another nice little book is by Betts and Davies.

czelaya
Dec17-09, 01:29 PM
P: 66

[Quantum mechanics] How about this book?

As far as technical books I would first recommend "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths followed by "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Shankar.

Jim Khalili's, "What is Quantum" is a wonderful non-technical book.

For Quantum Field Theory I'm currently reading the text book by Mark Srednicki.
kakarotyjn
Dec17-09, 07:15 PM
P: 97
How about Quantun Mechanics:An Introduction by David Griffth?
G01
Dec20-09, 11:30 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,688
Quote Quote by kakarotyjn View Post
How about Quantun Mechanics:An Introduction by David Griffth?
Already recommended above: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction...1076762&sr=8-2

It's a great book for a first technical experience in quantum mechanics. Griffith's explains things very well, but does not present the all the mathematical formalism that needs to be presented. (i.e. The book is very weak with Dirac notation.)

Has anyone had any experience with Townshend? (Spelling?) I hear it's a decent "pre- Sakurai" book at an undergraduate level.
Feldoh
Dec21-09, 12:36 AM
P: 1,345
Griffith's/Shankar -> Sakurai
George Jones
Dec21-09, 07:16 PM
Mentor
P: 6,044
Quote Quote by Feldoh View Post
Griffith's/Shankar -> Sakurai
Or Griffith's/Shankar -> Ballentine
Quote Quote by G01 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with Townshend? (Spelling?) I hear it's a decent "pre- Sakurai" book at an undergraduate level.
John Townsend has written two quantum books. I think that mean you mean A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics,

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Approac...8&sr=8-1-spell,

not Quantum Physics: A Fundamental Approach to Quantum Physics,

http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Physic...8&sr=8-2-spell.

A few years ago, A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics was in the library of the school I was then at, and I quickly leafed through it a few times. It looked to be very interesting, but this is a very personal, very quick opinion. You might want to take a look at parts of this book, including its preface, in Google Books,

http://books.google.com/books?id=3_7...age&q=&f=false.
nicksauce
Dec22-09, 04:45 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,276
We used Townsend at my school. I, and most others, liked it a lot (although I still think Shankar is better).
shadi_s10
Jan13-10, 09:01 AM
P: 77
Quote Quote by nicksauce View Post
We used Townsend at my school. I, and most others, liked it a lot (although I still think Shankar is better).

hi everyone,
have you got any link for shankar's solution?
I have some problems with "addition of angular momentums"!!
Phyisab****
Jan20-10, 04:07 PM
P: 598
Quote Quote by shadi_s10 View Post
hi everyone,
have you got any link for shankar's solution?
I have some problems with "addition of angular momentums"!!
Isn't this against the forum rules?
shadi_s10
Jan21-10, 12:49 AM
P: 77
I don't think so!
I have a problem with problem 15.3.3
and some other problems in this chapter
help me please! exams coming!!!
kuahji
Jan28-10, 07:41 AM
P: 394
Quote Quote by LithiumHelios View Post
Auletta's book is quite nice (it's not with me right now but back at uni) but I'm not sure I would recommend it for absolute beginners. Instead look at texts such as those by A.C.Phillips or D.J.Griffiths. Another nice little book is by Betts and Davies.
I recommend these exact same three books. If you work your way through these, you'll know quantum mechanics. The Betts & Davies book is great for conceptual understanding, while the Griffiths book gives you problems, & a more solid mathematical introduction to work with, Philips on the other hand is a mixture of both & is a bit unique in it's presentation.

Register to reply