Conservation of angular momentum with energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between ice skater's rotational speed, angular momentum, and energy. It explains how when the skater rotates with open arms, her moment of inertia is I and her angular momentum is I*W. As she folds her arms, her moment of inertia decreases to I/2 and the conservation of angular momentum causes her rotational speed to double, becoming W*2. The energy also doubles as a result, becoming I*W*W. The conversation concludes by clarifying that this increase in energy is due to the skater converting internal energy into rotational kinetic energy.
suhagsindur
Ice sketar rotates with open arms & her moment of inertia is I, rotational speed W. So, angular momentum is I*W. Energy is (1/2)I*W*W
she folds her arms & her moment of inertia decreases to I/2. From conservation of angular momentum rotational speed became double say W*2.
Energy became (1/2)*I/2*W*W*4 = I*W*W ( Energy is doubled, How?)

Please tell me in this caculation where I am wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not wrong. The skater does work when she brings her arms in. She converts internal energy into rotational KE.

Rotational kinetic energy isn't conserved

OK, Very much Thanks for clearing my doubt.

Your calculation is correct. The increase in energy can be explained by the fact that the skater's rotational speed has doubled, meaning she is now moving faster and therefore has more kinetic energy. This increase in kinetic energy is equal to the decrease in moment of inertia, as predicted by the conservation of angular momentum. So, while the skater's moment of inertia may have decreased, her increase in speed compensates for it and results in an overall doubling of energy. This is a common phenomenon in rotational motion, where changes in moment of inertia can result in changes in speed and energy, but the total angular momentum remains constant.

Related to Conservation of angular momentum with energy

1. What is conservation of angular momentum with energy?

Conservation of angular momentum with energy is a physical law that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant over time as long as there are no external torques acting on the system.

2. How is angular momentum related to energy?

Angular momentum is related to energy through the principle of conservation of energy. This principle states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. In the case of angular momentum, it can be transformed into other forms of energy, such as kinetic or potential energy, but the total amount of energy in the system remains constant.

3. What are some real-life examples of conservation of angular momentum with energy?

One example of conservation of angular momentum with energy is the motion of a spinning top. As the top spins, its angular momentum remains constant, and it also possesses kinetic energy due to its motion. Another example is the orbit of planets around the sun. The angular momentum of a planet remains constant as it orbits, and it also possesses kinetic and potential energy.

4. How does conservation of angular momentum with energy apply to rotational motion?

In rotational motion, conservation of angular momentum with energy means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This means that if one part of a rotating system speeds up, another part must slow down in order to maintain the same total angular momentum.

5. Can conservation of angular momentum with energy be violated?

No, conservation of angular momentum with energy is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. It has been observed and confirmed in numerous experiments and is a key principle in understanding the behavior of rotating systems.