Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Cremation is the only mindful option.
Well - vultures are also.
lisab
Oct27-10, 04:27 PM
Mentor
P: 2,985
Quote Quote by stevenb View Post
It seems there is an unnecessary step in there somewhere. As scientists, we must always consider efficiency.
Evo
Oct27-10, 04:32 PM
Mentor
P: 26,528
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
Or take urns.
jobyts
Oct28-10, 07:51 AM
P: 216
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
I've told my kids, "when I die, just feed me to the pigs."

Then have a barbecue!
Quote Quote by stevenb View Post
It seems there is an unnecessary step in there somewhere. As scientists, we must always consider efficiency.
From a financial view point, I'm a strong believer of dollar cost averaging. Instead of doing the whole body barbecue all at once, I would recommend barbecuing one half before the death, and the other half after.

Overall, keeping some for feeding pigs, some for barbecue, some before death, some after, seems like a well diversified portfolio.
nobahar
Oct28-10, 08:02 PM
P: 501
Is no one donating their body to science? I personally think that should be the default, and you opt out if you do not want to. There is more incentive to opt out than in, I think.
Evo
Oct28-10, 08:04 PM
Mentor
P: 26,528
Quote Quote by nobahar View Post
Is no one donating their body to science? I personally think that should be the default, and you opt out if you do not want to. There is more incentive to opt out than in, I think.
Both of my parents did, that's why the cremation.
stevenb
Oct28-10, 09:24 PM
P: 697
Quote Quote by nobahar View Post
Is no one donating their body to science?
I'm an organ donor, although my goal is to live so long that the remains get rejected by the QA department. Actually, my kidneys are already diseased and unsuitable for transplant, so I'm making good progress.

I do like your idea of making donating the default, although it makes for difficult policies and problematic situations. I think that those against it will be much more motivated to opt out without delay, and many of those for it will procrastinate 1 day too long before opting in.

A good recent trend (at least in my state) is for the Dept. of Motor Vehicles to ask your preference when you renew your drivers license and to put a little heart symbol on your license if you opt in. I think your family still needs to sign off if the unfortunate event occurs, but it gets the process started and the conversations going. And, there is no doubt about the prospective donor's wishes. (EDIT: Wait a minute, the DMV is involved, so some doubt will remain.)
Danger
Oct28-10, 10:11 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
My father went to medical school, ostensibly for 4 years, when he croaked. After about 7 years, we got curious and phoned them to find out where he was. They apologized for the delay, and said that he was so interesting that they were still studying him, then asked if they could keep him a while longer. We said "Sure; just let us know when you're done with him." After another 5 or 6 years, he showed up by courier in a small cardboard box and spent the next 10 years out on my front porch. I finally gave him to my youngest brother, and have no idea what he did with him. I think that he buried him under a tree on his farm, but I'm not sure. Bill died almost 5 years ago, so I never got a chance to ask him.
My mother, who would have turned 98 today, died just over a year ago. She was too decrepit to be useful scientifically, so she was just cremated and now resides in my china cabinet. Things were a bit more up-scale this time; she arrived in a plastic box rather than cardboard.
For me: harvest all functional organs (if I have any); study the remainder, then burn.
Evo, I still like your Tibetan vulture funeral for the elegance and natural beauty of it, but I'd prefer to be somewhat useful to other humans in death since I haven't been in life.
Phrak
Oct29-10, 04:36 AM
P: 4,512
Quote Quote by 1MileCrash View Post
We got on the subject of types of rocks, some formed by the carcasses of marine animals on the sea floor.

When organisms die, the body is chemically and physically broken down and the composing elememts and compounds are reintroduced into the earth's natural cycles. Eg all of the organism is reused within earth's closed system.

We humans have funerals and burials in which our bodies are preserved and sealed in an airtight casket. Our composing substances are not reintroduced into earth's system (at least not for the forseeable future, eventually, of course).

Does that seem a little "selfish" or self-important of us? :P
Let me get this right. Our bodies are on loan from Mother Earth. Our very elements are from the life giving elements provided Our Blessed Mother to whom we owe our very existence. We are indebted to return Her, Her Precious Resources for the benefit of all future life Our Mother shall bring forth.

I suggest you quit school, to better obtain an education. Something seems to have gone horribly wrong with the hiring process.
DaveC426913
Oct29-10, 08:13 AM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by Phrak View Post
Let me get this right. Our bodies are on loan from Mother Earth. Our very elements are from the life giving elements provided Our Blessed Mother to whom we owe our very existence. We are indebted to return Her, Her Precious Resources for the benefit of all future life Our Mother shall bring forth.

I suggest you quit school, to better obtain an education. Something seems to have gone horribly wrong with the hiring process.
Man, whoever peed on your Corn Flakes this morning, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the OP. You're being kinda mean (in a PF violation kind of way).

And disingenuous. You're implying whole dewey-eyed aspect that I don't think the OP meant.

Register to reply