Register to reply

Exact meaning of a local base at zero in a topological vector space...

by AxiomOfChoice
Tags: base, exact, local, meaning, space, topological, vector
Share this thread:
AxiomOfChoice
Mar18-11, 02:04 PM
P: 529
I am confused as to exactly what a local base at zero (l.b.z.) tells us about a topology. The definition given in Rudin is the following: "An l.b.z. is a collection G of open sets containing zero such that if O is any open set containing zero, there is an element of G contained in O". Ok, great.

But I have seen some proofs in my functional analysis class that suggest something like the following: Any open set in the topology can be formed by taking unions (possibly uncountable) of *translations* of sets in a l.b.z. Is this true, or am I just missing something?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
micromass
Mar18-11, 02:08 PM
Mentor
P: 18,040
Yes, the two are equivalent!

Basically, take an open set G in the topology. If a is in G, then G-a contains 0, thus we can find an element V_A of the lbz, such that [tex]V\subseteq G-a[/tex]. Thus [tex]a+V[/tex] contains a and is smaller than G. Now, we can write G as

[tex]G=\bigcup_{a\in G}{a+V_a}[/tex]

Thus we have written G as union of translations of the lbz...
AxiomOfChoice
Mar18-11, 02:11 PM
P: 529
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
Yes, the two are equivalent!
Great, thanks! Now that I know that, I'm going to try to work out a proof. But is this discussed in Rudin, or on the web, somewhere in case I get stuck?

micromass
Mar18-11, 02:14 PM
Mentor
P: 18,040
Exact meaning of a local base at zero in a topological vector space...

Sorry I posted too fast. I was going to include a proof. I've edited my post 1 with the proof...
Landau
Mar18-11, 03:44 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 905
You are already familiar with a neighbourhood base in any topogical space.

Now, the topology on a t.v.s. (or a topological group for that matter) is translation-invariant. This is because "translation by a fixed g"
[itex]T_g:x\mapsto x+g[/itex]
is a homeomorphism (which is because addition is by definition continuous, and T_g is obviously invertible). So it suffices to consider the neighborhood base of any point, in particular 0.

Register to reply