Share this thread:
AxiomOfChoice
Mar22-11, 11:12 AM
P: 529
If f is a continuous functional on a normed space, do you have

[tex]
\sup_{\|x\| < 1} |f(x)| = \sup_{\|x\| = 1} |f(x)|
[/tex]

If so, why? If not, can someone provide a counterexample?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
Stephen Tashi
Mar22-11, 07:59 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,282
That's an interesting question. A normed space must be a vector space right? But does a vector space have to be connected?
mathwonk
Mar22-11, 11:29 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,470
try it on R. can you think of a function which gets larger somewhere inside the unit interval than it is at 1, -1? maybe you meant linear. or maybe functional means linear. then it seems true.

AxiomOfChoice
Mar23-11, 10:36 AM
P: 529
Hopefully easy question about sups of continuous functions

Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
try it on R. can you think of a function which gets larger somewhere inside the unit interval than it is at 1, -1? maybe you meant linear. or maybe functional means linear. then it seems true.
Yeah, I did mean to put "linear functional" above...I guess I was under the impression that "functional" implies "linear functional", though I'm not at all sure that's the case.

And yeah, it clearly seems true on R, but for an arbitrary normed space, I'm not so sure...

Register to reply