Group mod a subgroup

by Zorba
Tags: subgroup
Zorba
Mar27-11, 12:15 PM
P: 77
Suppose G is a group and H is a subgroup of G. Then is G\H a subgroup itself? My feeling is it shouldn't be since 1[tex]\in[/tex]H, therefore 1[tex]\notin[/tex]G\H?

I'm getting a bit confused about this because I'm doing a homework sheet and the question deals with a homomorphism from G [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] G\H and I'm wondering what happens to the identity element...

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
fourier jr
Mar27-11, 12:22 PM
P: 943
if H is a normal subgroup, then G/H is a group. It's not a subgroup of G though since its elements are the cosets [itex]eH=H, g_1H, g_2H, ...[/itex], which are the images of the elements of G under that mapping. maybe I misunderstood completely though, did you get / mixed up with \ ? because G\H usually means the set {g in G | g not in H}, while G/H means quotient group
micromass
Mar27-11, 12:27 PM
Mentor
P: 16,692
I think your confusing some notation. G/H is different from G\H.
G\H is the set-difference and it is not a group. And certainly not a subgroup.
G/H is the quotient group, and it is a group (when H is normal). But it's not a subgroup (in general).

Deveno
Mar29-11, 04:05 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 906

Group mod a subgroup

when H is a normal subgroup of G, G/H can be made into a group by setting coset multiplication as: (Hx)(Hy) = H(xy).

the condition of normality is necessary, because Hx is not uniquely determined by x (it has other members of G in it, as well), and if Hx ≠ xH (equivalently if xHx^-1 ≠ H), then the multiplication will not be well-defined.

there is a "canonical" homomorphism G-->G/H for any quotient group G/H of G, which sends the element g of G to the right (= left) coset Hg. the identity of G/H is He = H, which is also the kernel of the canonical homomorphism.

one way to look at such quotient (or factor) groups is to think of all the members of H being set arbitrarily to the identity, e. since the identity commutes with everything, the normality condition is akin to saying H has to "commute with every g" (this is NOT to say that hg = gh for every h in H. remember, we're "shrinking H to a point" so we can't really tell the difference between h and h' in H. so hg = gh' is the best we can say, they both get packed down into the coset Hg).

Register to reply