Relationships for people over 50

by Evo
Tags: people, relationships
Evo
May29-11, 04:16 PM
Mentor
P: 25,963
Egads, just for fun I checked out match.com's site for seniors. AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! Why do they all look like Larry the Cable guy???

I selected men from 5'5 to 7'11"", agnostic/atheist, between 50-65 years old, intelligent, body type slim, average, or a few extra pounds, for pen pal, friendship or casual relationship.

Results - ZERO.

So they lowered my search age to 40 and searched the entire US. Got a few hits but

Where are the easy going, intelligent men that don't look like neanderthals standing next to corvettes?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
Ivan Seeking
May29-11, 04:22 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Egads, just for fun I checked out match.com's site for seniors. AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! Why do they all look like Larry the Cable guy???

I selected men from 5'5 to 7'11"", agnostic/atheist, between 50-65 years old, intelligent, body type slim, average, or a few extra pounds, for pen pal, friendship or casual relationship.

Results - ZERO.

So they lowered my search age to 40 and searched the entire US. Got a few hits but

Where are the easy going, intelligent men that don't look like neanderthals standing next to corvettes?
Try >50, looks and weight irrelevant, looking for cheap thrills.
Evo
May29-11, 04:23 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Try >50, looks and weight irrelevant, looking for cheap thrills.
<snork>

S_Happens
May29-11, 04:27 PM
PF Gold
P: 301

Relationships for people over 50

Obviously some of us have not put in the required time...
lisab
May29-11, 04:28 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917

Results - ZERO.

From personal experience, I can tell you it's the atheist thing that gets us, Evo.
TurtleMeister
May29-11, 04:34 PM
P: 735
Evo, except for the intelligent part, I fit your criteria perfectly. But sorry to say I'm already taken. However, I can tell you that the online thing can work sometimes. It did for me. And, it was an online community similar to this one (not physics related) that lead up to my perfect match. :)
Evo
May29-11, 04:47 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
From personal experience, I can tell you it's the atheist thing that gets us, Evo.
I've seen advice columnists telling people to select any or at least a few religions in order to get more results.

turtle, I've been on this forum for 8 years and only a couple of men have approached me.
Borek
May29-11, 05:22 PM
Admin
P: 22,712
I've been on this forum for 8 years and only a couple of men have approached me.
Mere mortals don't date goddesses.
Pengwuino
May29-11, 05:44 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
turtle, I've been on this forum for 8 years and only a couple of men have approached me.
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Mere mortals don't date goddesses.
I personally thought we would get banned for even daring to!

Also, how do you search for "intelligent" on match.com? Do I get to check off boxes that say "Dumbass, Theatre Major, Average Intelligence, Very Intelligence, Nobel Prize winner"?
DaveC426913
May29-11, 05:53 PM
P: 15,325
agnostic/atheist
Try "non-religious".

Seems to me what you want to search for is simply someone who has no strong religious views.
Evo
May29-11, 06:00 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post

Also, how do you search for "intelligent" on match.com? Do I get to check off boxes that say "Dumbass, Theatre Major, Average Intelligence, Very Intelligence, Nobel Prize winner"?
You can, or could, do keyword searches of their entire profile on the standard match.com.
DaveC426913
May29-11, 06:04 PM
You can, or could, do keyword searches of their entire profile on the standard match.com.
Perhaps the key then, is to do keyword searches for specific categories that people you like might be into. How many people put "intelligent" into their profile?
Evo
May29-11, 06:04 PM
Mentor
I think Greg should start a dating site for geeks. Chris and his partners sold OK Cupid to match.com for $50 million.
DaveC426913
May29-11, 06:05 PM
Wait, I thought you were a self-proclaimed misanthrope?

Your hard-crunchy exterior starting to soften a little?
Evo
May29-11, 06:06 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post

Almost as many as those that claim to be "very attractive". I'm sure they might be attractive to some life form, but it's not human.
lisab
May29-11, 06:06 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Perhaps the key then, is to do keyword searches for specific categories that people you like might be into. How many people put "intelligent" into their profile?
A lot, but it's often spelled wrong.
DaveC426913
May29-11, 06:08 PM
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
A lot, but it's often spelled wrong.
Yes, you can filter out words too, can't you? Like "enteligent"
Evo
May29-11, 06:11 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Wait, I thought you were a self-proclaimed misanthrope?
I am. If I joined, my profile would start out "I am boring & tired. I sit at the computer all day and watch the squirrels outside my window eating the seeds I've put down for them.

My old match profile actually did say that I did not want "Mr Excitement" and went into a bit of detail to get across just how boring I was.

Register to reply