playing with ms paint

by darub
Tags: paint, playing
darub
Jul27-11, 08:40 PM
P: 3
hello.
to be clear, my math is very bad and i used to hate it in school (hmm maybe not the best way to start ..)
anyway, while i had alot of spare time and nothing to do except playing around with windows paint (don't ask why), i found a cool technique which generates nice shapes, which, i discovered, i thought were impossible geometricaly.
here is an example of one of these shapes, it can actualy be very various types of them.

please note that i have added some lines to the left side of the shape, these can be ignored.

so, to my question, is it just a fun thing, or can it be used by smarter people than me?

i can add more examples of different shapes, and now uploading a video the creation method (will take several hours tho).

thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
uoflcard
Jul27-11, 11:47 PM
P: 2
Well I can't tell you how useful it might be, but it certainly looks cool
quasar987
Jul28-11, 07:58 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,768
I love it. :)

Rasalhague
Jul28-11, 08:50 AM
P: 1,400

playing with ms paint

It looks a bit like one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_bottle
SteveL27
Jul28-11, 02:18 PM
P: 799
Quote Quote by Rasalhague View Post
It looks a bit like one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_bottle
You can buy a Klein bottle here ...

http://www.kleinbottle.com/

At last, Acme has conquered topological and engineering frontiers to manufacture genuine glass Klein Bottles. These are the finest closed, non-orientable, boundary-free manifolds sold anywhere in our three spatial dimensions.

These elegant bottles make splendid gifts, outstanding classroom displays, and inferior mouse-traps. With its circle of singularities, an Acme Klein Bottle can be said to exist inside of itself -- especially handy during time-reversals.

and ...

Just $45 gets you a quality, rustproof, borosilicate zerovolume manifold ... a bargain compared to 6 years in graduate school!
darub
Jul31-11, 07:39 PM
this is how the symbol "Ohm" (well half of it) would look like in a twisted dimension:
Pengwuino
Jul31-11, 07:42 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
..... how did you do that with MS Paint!?
darub
Jul31-11, 08:13 PM
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
..... how did you do that with MS Paint!?
it all began with a circle divided by points.
than i ran a straight lines betwin these points by a random number that i picked (it creates stars shapes).
than i thought "hell, why not using the curve option?". so instead of straight lines i ran curved lines, using 2 random points on the screen to adjust the curve (and keeping these points all the way), and 1 random number to run the curve betwin the points. after that it's only a matter of patience..
the way from circle to random shapes as base was short, and now i'm doing some experiments with vanishing points.
also, i am now trying to automate this process into a program, problem is, i'm lacking any knowledge on programming, so im looking for a guy to do it for me.

Register to reply