Playing with ms paint

by darub
Tags: paint, playing
Share this thread:
darub
Jul27-11, 08:40 PM
P: 3
hello.
to be clear, my math is very bad and i used to hate it in school (hmm maybe not the best way to start ..)
anyway, while i had alot of spare time and nothing to do except playing around with windows paint (don't ask why), i found a cool technique which generates nice shapes, which, i discovered, i thought were impossible geometricaly.
here is an example of one of these shapes, it can actualy be very various types of them.

please note that i have added some lines to the left side of the shape, these can be ignored.

so, to my question, is it just a fun thing, or can it be used by smarter people than me?

i can add more examples of different shapes, and now uploading a video the creation method (will take several hours tho).

thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
uoflcard
Jul27-11, 11:47 PM
P: 2
Well I can't tell you how useful it might be, but it certainly looks cool
quasar987
Jul28-11, 07:58 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,771
I love it. :)

Rasalhague
Jul28-11, 08:50 AM
P: 1,402
Playing with ms paint

It looks a bit like one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_bottle
SteveL27
Jul28-11, 02:18 PM
P: 800
Quote Quote by Rasalhague View Post
It looks a bit like one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_bottle
You can buy a Klein bottle here ...

http://www.kleinbottle.com/

At last, Acme has conquered topological and engineering frontiers to manufacture genuine glass Klein Bottles. These are the finest closed, non-orientable, boundary-free manifolds sold anywhere in our three spatial dimensions.

These elegant bottles make splendid gifts, outstanding classroom displays, and inferior mouse-traps. With its circle of singularities, an Acme Klein Bottle can be said to exist inside of itself -- especially handy during time-reversals.

and ...

Just $45 gets you a quality, rustproof, borosilicate zerovolume manifold ... a bargain compared to 6 years in graduate school!
darub
Jul31-11, 07:39 PM
this is how the symbol "Ohm" (well half of it) would look like in a twisted dimension:
Pengwuino
Jul31-11, 07:42 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
..... how did you do that with MS Paint!?
darub
Jul31-11, 08:13 PM
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
..... how did you do that with MS Paint!?
it all began with a circle divided by points.
than i ran a straight lines betwin these points by a random number that i picked (it creates stars shapes).
than i thought "hell, why not using the curve option?". so instead of straight lines i ran curved lines, using 2 random points on the screen to adjust the curve (and keeping these points all the way), and 1 random number to run the curve betwin the points. after that it's only a matter of patience..
the way from circle to random shapes as base was short, and now i'm doing some experiments with vanishing points.
also, i am now trying to automate this process into a program, problem is, i'm lacking any knowledge on programming, so im looking for a guy to do it for me.

Register to reply