Register to reply

Creative Paths in Engineering/Science/Math that dont give me a 9-5 cubicle job

Share this thread:
sc123
Sep11-11, 02:52 PM
P: 3
Hello,

I am a 23 year old female, and I need some career advise. I was an undergraduate mathematics/physics major. I began going to school for Applied Physics at a top ten university, but I decided that I was very unhappy with the course work and the weather, so I finished the semester and quit. It was something that I gave alot of though to and don't regret.

I am a very creative person (I like music alot), and I was more interested in designing something new than modeling how the world works. My question is this: I was thinking of doing electrical engineering or applied math, but I don't want to program every day. Most of the programming that I have done is like writing a recipe, and I like to cook by throwing whatever's in my cupboard. Also, I work for a corporate office right now, and I hate the dreariness of cubicle land. What do you think are the most creative jobs in engineering/science/math that wouldn't force me to work in office space?
Also, making a bunch of money isn't important, I know how to live thrifty.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
JakeBrodskyPE
Sep11-11, 06:00 PM
P: 488
I am of the opinion that cubicles for engineers are an indication of diseased management. That said, I have a cube at work, but I'm rarely there.

Many utilities have many new positions for engineers opening up. The pay isn't bad, and the work is about as steady as anything in engineering gets. It is interesting, hands-on, applied work.

The down side? It can be bureaucratic and political at times. However, that is something you'll encounter in some form, no matter what you do.

I've been doing this work for over 25 years. I think it is worthwhile...

Register to reply