Variable power as an axis, nonsense? please comment

by elegysix
Tags: axis, comment, nonsense, power, variable
Share this thread:
elegysix
Nov4-11, 09:22 AM
P: 316
Hello,
Does anyone know if this makes sense or is usable?

I've only been able to describe it through a graph.
Instead of the x axis being numbers, being powers of x.

Let me clarify - where normally would be x=0,1,2,3... would now be x^0, x^1, x^2, x^3
and the y axis would be values of coefficients in a polynomial / coefficients in a power series.

Does anyone know of anything like this?
I thought it up yesterday and have been intrigued by it.
I don't know how to work with it though.

thanks
austin
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
SteveL27
Nov4-11, 11:42 AM
P: 800
Quote Quote by elegysix View Post
Hello,
Does anyone know if this makes sense or is usable?

I've only been able to describe it through a graph.
Instead of the x axis being numbers, being powers of x.

Let me clarify - where normally would be x=0,1,2,3... would now be x^0, x^1, x^2, x^3
and the y axis would be values of coefficients in a polynomial / coefficients in a power series.

Does anyone know of anything like this?
I thought it up yesterday and have been intrigued by it.
I don't know how to work with it though.

thanks
austin
Yes, it's called a log scale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithmic_scale
elegysix
Nov4-11, 02:57 PM
this would be a log base x though right? The log plots on wiki are in base 10 and other values, but not variables. Does that make a difference?

SteveL27
Nov4-11, 09:07 PM
P: 800
Variable power as an axis, nonsense? please comment

Quote Quote by elegysix View Post
this would be a log base x though right? The log plots on wiki are in base 10 and other values, but not variables. Does that make a difference?
Maybe I'm not clear on what you meant. The values on the x-axis aren't numbers? They're variables? Can you give a specific example of what you mean?

'x' is just a dummy variable that ranges over the real numbers when you're graphing a function, for example. But the x-axis represents the real numbers. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by saying it consists of variables like x^n.
elegysix
Nov6-11, 09:48 AM
The idea is like this: write out a few of the first terms in the power series of sin(x),

then mark your x axis as [itex] x^{0}, x^{1}, x^{2}, x^{3}... [/itex] in place of the integers

The coefficients of the power series, [itex]a_{n}[/itex], are the y coordinates.

Ordered pairs would be [itex](x^{0},a_{0}), (x^{1},a_{1}), (x^{2},a_{2}) [/itex] and so forth.

doing this for sin(x) -- the coefficients of the power series are 0, 1, 0, -1/6, 0, 1/120...
Where I have used 0's for the coefficients of even powers of x.

Plotting this looks like [itex] \frac {sin()}{n!} [/itex] but I have no clue how to interpret what I've done. it does look like if we tried to fit those points, that would be an exact fit.

I find it curious that just plotting these coefficients resembles a sine function. Perhaps this could be used somehow to determine the function a power series converges to? (assuming it does converge)
The same can be done for the cosine, and the plot looks like cos/n!.

any idea about this?

thanks
austin

Register to reply