Feb18-12, 02:03 PM
P: 98
Quote Quote by I like Serena View Post
HOT interpersonal relationships then!
I want a copy of the credits in the thesis
nucleargirl
Feb29-12, 12:24 PM
P: 126
Been feeling so sick today: decided to start project next Thursday... not sure if have stomach bug or butterflies.
nucleargirl
Feb29-12, 12:27 PM
Quote Quote by chiro View Post
So what kind of 'research' are you really doing.......
um... the stomach-turning kind?
nucleargirl
Feb29-12, 12:30 PM
and intriguing... he seems to like to reply in one or two word answers to my e-mails... not sure if really busy or can't be bothered... omg I really need to stop reading 9gag. started speaking in memes now. sound like fricking philosoraptor and fry mix.
Jolb
Feb29-12, 07:34 PM
P: 419
I once did a summer internship under two professors (both male) to do some research on graphene synthesis and characterization. The professors also had another student to work on the same project; she was a girl. (I'm a guy, btw.) It was immediately clear that she favored the younger professor, and she would always volunteer to do stuff for him even when it was totally not productive for the project.

Later on in the program, she'd talk with other girls in the lab about how "hot" the younger professor was. Clearly that was her motivation for liking him.

Now that just irritated me. I felt like her priority wasn't to do the research project, it was just to butter up to him. I couldn't help but doubt how serious she was about actually doing the project, and I thought it was annoying that she would get away with doing grunt work for the younger professor instead of actually doing the research project!

In all, my message is that you might annoy other students if they find out that you're more interested in the professor than in the project. Particularly, if you have partners, they would most likely figure that you're not actually motivated by intrest in the subject matter, like they are.
nucleargirl
Mar1-12, 10:51 AM
Yeah... I'm not gonna tell anyone who might know him... which is kinda why I'm venting here...
CaptFirePanda
Mar1-12, 11:10 AM
P: 27
I wonder what the responses would be like if the genders were flipped (eg. male student professing his lust for a female professor). I'm assuming the conversation would focus a lot more on the negatives of superficial attraction, etc...

Anyway, that aside, I think it would put him in a very tough situation as it is generally frowned upon for a professor to have a relationship with a student and many post-secondary institutions are drafting policy along those lines. I would consider this when moving forward. It isn't always easy to resist one's feelings, but if you can save things until he is no longer your supervisor, that might make life easier for him and you.

Anyway good luck one way or another. Try not to read into things too much or you'll drive everyone nuts ;)
nucleargirl
Mar2-12, 03:23 PM
:) can't wait to start on Thursday! wonder what it will be like?
anyway, I've finished exams! and did soooo badly... I know it. Gonna be back to retake next year I'm sure... Anyway, I went to Harrods today and they let me try on a Piaget cocktail ring!!! AND I bought shoes!!! :)))
Doby
Mar5-12, 06:52 AM
P: n/a
Hahaha funny board :D
nucleargirl
Mar7-12, 04:30 PM
I'm so scared... been having butterflies for like the past days! not fun! hope he doesn't hate me...
MarcoD
Mar7-12, 05:05 PM
I say horsedung! Ah well, hope you're enjoying yourself.
nucleargirl
Mar8-12, 11:33 AM
sucks... worst day ever... supervisor turned out to be... not what I had expected... and he probably felt the same about me.
Feel so bad... how is this going to work?
I find it so difficult to talk to him... What can I ask a guy 20 years older than me? I really don't know what to say to him. And he doesn't seem the slightest interested in talking to me... oh..... I hope things don't stay this way...
MarcoD
Mar8-12, 11:35 AM
maybe it wasn't that smart to let your feelings guide you?
nucleargirl
Mar8-12, 12:53 PM
Any advice on how to get on with quite a macho Aussie guy on a platonic level?

Register to reply