Obama's Candidacy

by Pythagorean
Tags: candidacy, obama
Office_Shredder
Feb10-12, 11:21 AM
Mentor
P: 4,499
Quote Quote by WhoWee View Post
Actually turbo - as per Evo (today) - information from the Heritage Foundation is slanted anti-Obama and not permitted in this forum. Accordingly - do you have anything else?
That's not citing the Heritage Foundation claiming Mitch McConnell believes this (which would be disallowed), that's a video of Mitch McConnell stating his number one priority is defeating Obama. There's a clear difference, and the fact that he happens to be talking at a Heritage Foundation event is irrelevant to the greater conversation (unless you want to argue that he lied to them for political reasons)
WhoWee
Feb10-12, 11:26 AM
P: 1,123
Quote Quote by Office_Shredder View Post
That's not citing the Heritage Foundation claiming Mitch McConnell believes this (which would be disallowed), that's a video of Mitch McConnell stating his number one priority is defeating Obama. There's a clear difference, and the fact that he happens to be talking at a Heritage Foundation event is irrelevant to the greater conversation (unless you want to argue that he lied to them for political reasons)
I'll defer to Evo?
WhoWee
Feb13-12, 10:22 AM
Listening to President Obama's speech about the budget he's sending (about a week late?) to the Hill - not sure why it needs to be explained and promoted? Given last year it didn't pass - and the Senate hasn't passed a budget in over 1,000 days - where is the sense of urgency and priority? Suggesting Repubs want to set the economy back by not renewing the payroll tax deduction (which actually cuts contributions to Social Security) - seems very petty in the greater context - IMO of course.
mheslep
Feb13-12, 11:03 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,021
Yes his new budget will have a $1.3 trillion deficit for FY 2012. Lots of new spending, no serious cuts to old spending or Medicare reform, but includes a big tax increase. This should raise the debt to over $16 trillion by the end of the year. Next FY the debt will have nice shot at 110% GDP.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/overview
Evo
Feb13-12, 11:14 AM
Mentor
P: 25,961
Actually turbo - as per Evo (today) - information from the Heritage Foundation is slanted anti-Obama and not permitted in this forum. Accordingly - do you have anything else?
I said that the Foundry blog you linked to was yellow journalism and not acceptable.
WhoWee
Feb13-12, 01:03 PM
Quote Quote by mheslep View Post
Yes his new budget will have a $1.3 trillion deficit for FY 2012. Lots of new spending, no serious cuts to old spending or Medicare reform, but includes a big tax increase. This should raise the debt to over $16 trillion by the end of the year. Next FY the debt will have nice shot at 110% GDP.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/overview
I just heard on the radio President Obama wants an additional $800,000,000 for countries of the "Arab Spring" - label IMO until I find a source please.
mheslep
Feb13-12, 02:54 PM
PF Gold
I just heard on the radio President Obama wants an additional $800,000,000 for countries of the "Arab Spring" - label IMO until I find a source please.
Doesn't matter wrt to the deficit. $0.8B is in the noise, a little more than 2 hours of current federal spending. He has to reform Medicare. Right now the fix can be w/ no change at all to, say, people over 55 as per a Ryan plan or something like it. Soon, the situation will require changes to benefits already in the system.
WhoWee
Feb13-12, 03:03 PM
Quote Quote by mheslep View Post
Doesn't matter wrt to the deficit. $0.8B is in the noise, a little more than 2 hours of current federal spending. He has to reform Medicare. Right now the fix can be w/ no change at all to, say, people over 55 as per a Ryan plan or something like it. Soon, the situation will require changes to benefits already in the system.
I have a problem with ANY requests for additional spending when they haven't passed a budget in the past 1,000+ days.
mheslep
Feb13-12, 05:01 PM
PF Gold
I have a problem with ANY requests for additional spending when they haven't passed a budget in the past 1,000+ days.
To be specific, 'they' is Harry Reid in the Senate. The House or course passed a budget.
WhoWee
Feb21-12, 12:26 PM
I wonder if President Obama will respond to Newt Gingrich's remarks in OK? Newt said (Obama) is the most dangerous President of all time - very critical on his (Obama's)reluctance to identify terrorists as Islamic extremists, and said we should take Iran at their word when they say they want to wipe Israel from the map. Newt also said we could lose an American city in our lifetimes.
http://nation.foxnews.com/newt-gingr...erican-history
Pythagorean
Feb21-12, 01:00 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,212
I think his best bet would to be ignore Newt directly, maybe implicate or insinuate a response elsewhere.
aquitaine
Feb22-12, 06:12 PM
P: 201
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
I think his best bet would to be ignore Newt directly, maybe implicate or insinuate a response elsewhere.

Newt's already faded, soon enough this will become a total non-issue.
Pythagorean
Feb22-12, 06:23 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by aquitaine View Post
exactly.
lisab
Feb22-12, 07:03 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
Quote Quote by aquitaine View Post
Newt who?
turbo
Feb22-12, 07:11 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Newt who?
Good response. Newt is a non-issue. He would like to stay in the public eye, but he is not a player. He has a ton of baggage and no plurality of women would vote to put Callista in the WH as first lady.
Pythagorean
Feb22-12, 10:40 PM
PF Gold
I like these words

Quote Quote by Obama
Democracy demands that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into universal, rather than religion-specific, values. It requires that their proposals be subject to argument, and amenable to reason. I may be opposed to abortion for religious reasons, but if I seek to pass a law banning the practice, I cannot simply point to the teachings of my church or evoke God's will. I have to explain why abortion violates some principle that is accessible to people of all faiths, including those with no faith at all.
russ_watters
Feb23-12, 05:51 AM
Mentor
P: 22,008
I like these words
I don't think they are all that useful - even a little disingenuous - since the "principle" at issue is clearly accessible to people of all/no faith.
Alfi
Feb23-12, 07:41 AM
P: 151
I like these words
I also like them. They speak to me as a vision farther than a single country's.
They also make it clear that Obama thinks democratic governments, in the making of laws, should not be guided solely by religious dogma.

I agree

Register to reply