Register to reply

How to factor a polynomial modulo p?

by joebohr
Tags: factor, modulo, polynomial
Share this thread:
joebohr
Feb24-12, 02:25 PM
P: 57
I can understand most of Galois Theory and Number Theory dealing with factorization and extension fields, but I always run into problems that involve factorization mod p, which I can't seem to figure out how to do. I can't find any notes anywhere either, so I was wondering if someone could give me some steps. p is prime, of course.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
morphism
Feb25-12, 04:33 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,020
Do you have any specific questions? For general reading material, you could try googling "factoring polynomials over finite fields".
joebohr
Feb25-12, 09:55 AM
P: 57
Quote Quote by morphism View Post
Do you have any specific questions? For general reading material, you could try googling "factoring polynomials over finite fields".
I seem to have figured out how to factor mod p (in a prime field) between a couple documents:

www.science.unitn.it/~degraaf/compalg/polfact.pdf

http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~r-ash/Ant/AntChapter4.pdf

However, I'm still wondering what other types of finite fields it would be useful to factor over (am I correct in assuming that not all finite fields are prime fields?)

camilus
Mar5-12, 12:42 PM
P: 150
How to factor a polynomial modulo p?

You usually reduce the polynomial using the small Fermat theorem, xp [itex]\equiv[/itex] x (mod p) for every variable x that has a power greater than p-1

Register to reply