Spins in an external magnetic field

by Jolb
Tags: external, field, magnetic, spins
Jolb
Mar3-12, 03:25 AM
P: 419
This is from Kardar's Statistical Physics of Particles, p.123, question 8.
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Curie suceptibility: consider N non-interacting quantized spins in a magnetic field [tex]\vec{B}=B\hat{z}[/tex] and at temperature T. The work done by the field is given by BMz, with a magnetization
[tex]M_z=\mu\sum_{i=1}^{N}m_i[/tex]. For each spin, mi takes only the 2s+1 values -s, -s+1, ..., s-1, s.

[Parts a-c omitted.]

d) Show that
[tex]C_B -C_M = c \frac{B^2}{T^2}[/tex], where CB and CM are heat capacities at constant B and M, respectively.

2. Relevant equations
I'm not totally sure the following equations are absolutely correct, since I've tried using them to no avail. Some of them are the ones I derived in parts a-c and others are ones from Kardar. So I'll separate the ones I found from the ones in Kardar, and for the ones in Kardar, I'll include where Kardar puts them if you want to check if they apply.
Kardar equations:
[tex]G=G=-k_B T\mathrm{ln}Z [/tex](Kardar 4.88)
[tex]M = -\frac{\partial G}{\partial B}[/tex] (Kardar 4.97)
[tex]H = -\frac{\partial \mathrm{ln}Z}{\partial \beta }[/tex] where β=kBT (Kardar 4.89)
[tex]C_M=\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}[/tex] (given in Kardar just below 4.89)
[tex]C_B=-B\frac{\partial M}{\partial T}[/tex] (given in Kardar just below 4.98)

My equations:
[tex]Z=\left (\frac{1-e^{\frac{-(2s+1)B\mu}{k_B T}}}{1-e^{\frac{-B\mu}{k_B T}}} \right )^N[/tex]
[tex]G = -Nk_B T\mathrm{ln}\frac{1-e^{\frac{-(2s+1)B\mu}{k_B T}}}{1-e^{\frac{-B\mu}{k_B T}}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
I've written down CB and CM but I have exponentials hanging around which don't cancel and therefore don't leave me with B^2/T^2 proportionality. I suspect there's something wrong with the results of my a-c, which are all in "my equations."

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes

Register to reply