Reason of entropy rise

by HWGXX7
Tags: entropy, rise
Share this thread:
HWGXX7
Apr10-12, 10:18 AM
P: 46
Hello,

I'd like to get some more accurate idea of entropy in general: [tex]dS=\int\frac{dQ}{T}[/tex]

Given an adiabatic isolated system. Work is irrerversible done onto this system.

Entropy will rise because of the fact that some of the work is transformed into irreversible losses and therefore [tex]dQ[/tex] increases.

A reversible system will not undergo a rise in entropy because of the fact that no losses will occur, so [tex]dQ=0[/tex] and entropy will remain the same.

Must I also assume that even when the losses are reversible transformable into work again, the transformation is still labelled 'irreversible' . Because losses are inherent factor of a irreversible system (KELVIN) ?

Is this somehow a correct interpretation I have?

ty&grtz
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
How did evolution optimize circadian clocks?
New webcast series brings cutting-edge physics talks to the world
High Flux Isotope Reactor named Nuclear Historic Landmark
darkxponent
Apr10-12, 10:55 AM
P: 383
Yeah that is the explanation my thermodynamics teacher gave. I dont know what is modern physics take on entropy. So who is gonna exlpain to us?
HWGXX7
Apr10-12, 02:40 PM
P: 46
I dont what is modern physics take on entropy.
What did you mean with that?

grtz

darkxponent
Apr10-12, 02:51 PM
P: 383
Reason of entropy rise

Quote Quote by HWGXX7 View Post
What did you mean with that?
I missed a word.

Register to reply