Relationship between differential pressure and airflow through a filter

by ShanePC
Tags: airflow, differential, filter, pressure, relationship
ShanePC
Apr12-12, 11:08 AM
P: 2
I have a question regarding the relationship between differential pressure across a filter, the airflow through the filter and the size of the orifice that the aire is moving through. I would like to be able to predict differential pressure required to maintain a constant airflow as the filter I am using blocks over time.

I am having trouble finding a suitable expression online and Filter Manufacturers do not supply this information with their filters.

Can anybody tell me if there is a simple expression which can be used please?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can assist me!

Shane
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Sensitive detection method may help impede illicit nuclear trafficking
CERN: World-record current in a superconductor
Beam on target: CEBAF accelerator achieves 12 GeV commissioning milestone
russ_watters
Apr12-12, 08:29 PM
Mentor
P: 21,994
Welcome to PF!

I'm sorry, but this can't work because you have one unknown driving the other: You would have to know the loading of the filter to find the pressure drop on a table or via a formula but the only way to measure filter loading is by measuring the pressure drop!

What you need is to maintain a constant dp across a device known to be fixed, such as a cooling or heating coil. Then the pressure across the filter can fluctuate while keeping the airflow constant.
ShanePC
Apr13-12, 06:32 AM
P: 2
Thanks for the welcome Russ. I am not an engineer so I am taking time to get through things that probably seem very basic.

In relation to the pressure drop and loading I am working through correlating the two through measurements.

I am using a vacuum pump to generate the flow through the filter but cannot control the pressure or loading accross the filter. I know the pressure before and after the filter but not the airflow. Am I dealing with too many unknowns? Thanks for your help.

S.

Register to reply