Register to reply

A question of inherited velocity

by mkillman
Tags: inherited, velocity
Share this thread:
mkillman
Apr22-12, 03:27 PM
P: 10
I'm playing a rather popular online fps type game that is extremely fast paced so your character is capable of moving at speeds in excess of 200kph.

The question I have:

Say I'm flying at 100kph in midair and i turn 90 degrees to my left and fire a shot.
how much of my vector and velocity will be transferred to the projectile and how will it effect its trajectory?

I know that its possible to cancel out the forces if you could fire the bullet directly 180 degrees off your vector and at the same speed <saw that episode of mythbusters>

If anybody could point me at some refrence material so I can make a valid argument aginst their physics model that would be great

Thanks
Mkillman
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
Nature's designs inspire research into new light-based technologies
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
A.T.
Apr23-12, 06:50 AM
P: 4,229
Quote Quote by mkillman View Post
I'm playing a rather popular online fps type game that is extremely fast paced so your character is capable of moving at speeds in excess of 200kph.

The question I have:

Say I'm flying at 100kph in midair and i turn 90 degrees to my left and fire a shot.
how much of my vector and velocity will be transferred to the projectile and how will it effect its trajectory?
Velocities are vectors. You use vector addition to get the initial velocity of the bullet:

a : your velocity relative to ground
b : initial bullet velocity relative to you
a+b : initial bullet velocity relative to ground

Quote Quote by mkillman View Post
I know that its possible to cancel out the forces if you could fire the bullet directly 180 degrees off your vector and at the same speed <saw that episode of mythbusters>
You don't cancel out forces. But you can cancel out the bullets velocity component parallel to your flight path, so it goes 90° to your path in the ground frame. To do this you aim b backwards at an angle, so that a+b is perpendicular to a. Keep in mind that the length of b is multiple times that of a for a normal bullet and the speeds you mentioned.
mkillman
Apr23-12, 02:16 PM
P: 10
do you think the magnus effect will play any role in the trajectory of the shot? Assuming its a rifled bullet

Register to reply