Torsion test simulation

by svishal03
Tags: simulation, test, torsion
Share this thread:
svishal03
Apr26-12, 08:58 PM
P: 132
Hi all,

I am simulating torsion tests (after being successful with tension and compression tests). For tension and compression, I got a good comparsion with experimental and behaviour in tension is same as in compression (of course leaving the necking part).

For torsion tests, I have taken equivalent tensile stress = shear stress*sqrt(3) and equivalent tensile strain as = shear strain / sqrt (3).

This is based on Von Mises criteria.

But I have a problem, doing this I find that there is a variation of about 6-8 % from the uniaxial tension test and compression test . IS there some approxiamtion in Von Mises criteria of equivalent tensile stress and strain?

I tried to google and more and this what I found:

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=F...strain&f=false

From this ; am I correct below (you can read the abstractabove as well):

“Torsion equivalent stresses obtained using Von Misesrelationship (as I have done) are 6.5% lower than those obtained using BishopHill formulation which is more accurate”

So, can we say that torsion equivalent stresses will bearound 6.5% less than that obtained using uniaxial tension ?

Warm regards,

Vishal
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Eye implant could lead to better glaucoma treatment
Electricity helping the blind navigate
Lawsuits challenge US drone, model aircraft rules (Update)
svishal03
May1-12, 10:00 PM
P: 132
Please can anyone help?

Register to reply