Is NE degree with low gpa worth anything?

In summary, the person has failed one of their midterms and is depressed because they don't know how to fix the problem. They are considering withdrawing from UC Berkeley and transferring to a different school. They think that if they continue to study hard, they will likely graduate with a lower GPA, but they may be able to get a job without a good GPA.
ne1
I am an undergrad at UC Berkeley in my junior year. It is my first semester at UC Berkeley because I came as a transfer student from a community college, majoring in nuclear engineering. I had a 4.0 gpa at the community college, so I thought I would do good at UCB and then go to graduate school, but I have failed one of my midterms, and I'm getting C's on the others. After I failed the midterm,I keep constantly thinking about my career and get distracted from studying (kinda depressed).
Part of the problem is that we didn't cover most modern physics at the community college, and also the classes were easy, so I don't think i was prepared enough at the community college.
Now, if I continue and work hard, most likely I will graduate with a gpa below 3.0 (no graduate school and no job probably). Also, I keep hearing the idea that only the best students in NE get hired.

The only reason I came to UCB is because it has NE and I can't afford out of state tuition. One option for me is to withdraw from UCB before I get the C's this semester and transfer next year to any state school (no NE though maybe ME or CHemE) where I'm sure I would do better in school.My friends from the community college are having easier transition to other state schools(san jose,sfo, sac,long beach...). I know I should only be concerned about learning what I like (NE), but the system works by gpa and berkeley's engineering is rough (hard and many restrictions so I'm not allowed to take a light course load because I must graduate in a specific time). Should I just contunue at berkeley even though most likeley I will end up with low gpa? or should I go to any other state school and do a 2nd option major?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What I would suggest you do is to get some type of internship or coop. Although they usually only take students with decent grades, you may get away with putting down your CC gpa by itself. If you can't get either of those, I would seek out professors who are looking for undergraduate help with their research projects. This will at least get you some type of experience.

The norm is that if you do not have a stellar gpa, then you must have a good level of experience under your belt in order to get a decent job. Even with a good GPA it is harder to find a good job without experience.

Last edited:
I can tell you that if you want to work at a plant, it is difficult to get in if you don't have at least a 2.8 cumulative or 3.0 technical. It's not impossible (I did it, but a long and diverse work history helped, and was also a part of the reason for my low gpa). Preferred is 3.0 cumulative and 3.2 technical.

If you are interested in a power plant career, be advised that a nuke plant is a single reactor surrounded by thousands of pieces of electrical and mechanical equipment, and increasingly , computers... much of it older than you because we haven't built a plant since the 80's. Utilities have a difficult time finding people with technical skill and interest to dedicate themselves to such "stone age equipment".

The reactor pretty much runs fine having been designed by geniuses shortly after WW2.
The rest of the equipment is fraught with the troubles endemic to the 60's and 70's when it was designed. The saturated steam turbines are out of the '30's, just bigger... Fascinating equipment ! So beautifully Basic!

If you're the type guy who changes his own oil and sparkplugs, look the recruiter in the eye and tell him so. (I found that was the single best question i could ask potential new hires).

A smattering of 3 phase power, electronic circuits, statics dynamics and strength of materials will help you an awful lot in a plant career.

Most plants employ just a few Nuclear engineers but scores of mechanical and electricals. Mine alternated levels of management between BSc's and "School of hard knocks" all the way to the top. A mix of practical and theory is as good for the organization as it is for the individual.

Humility and hard work will get you farther than a high GPA. You're just starting from a little behind.

Remember Elbert Hubbard's admonition - "The trouble with resting on your laurels is people lose sight of them"...

good luck to you. sir...
old jim

I understand your concerns about your GPA and its potential impact on your future career prospects. However, I want to remind you that a GPA is not the only measure of success or potential in the field of nuclear engineering.

Firstly, it is important to remember that your GPA is not the sole determining factor in graduate school admissions or job opportunities. Your coursework, research experiences, and extracurricular activities also play a significant role in showcasing your skills and potential as a nuclear engineer.

Additionally, while it may be true that some companies or graduate programs may prioritize students with high GPAs, there are many other factors that they consider, such as relevant experience, recommendations, and personal statements. So even with a lower GPA, you may still be a competitive candidate if you can demonstrate your passion and aptitude for nuclear engineering through other means.

Furthermore, it is important to keep in mind that your GPA is not reflective of your intelligence or potential. It is simply a measure of your academic performance in a specific set of courses. It is possible that the transition from community college to a top university like UC Berkeley has been challenging for you, and that is completely normal and understandable. However, it does not mean that you are not capable of succeeding in the field of nuclear engineering.

In terms of your options, I would encourage you to consider all factors before making a decision. Transferring to a different state school may provide you with a better GPA, but it may also mean sacrificing your passion for nuclear engineering. On the other hand, staying at UC Berkeley may be a tougher challenge, but it also offers you access to top-notch resources and opportunities in the field.

Ultimately, the decision is yours to make, but I would encourage you to not give up on your dream of becoming a nuclear engineer based solely on your GPA. Keep working hard, seek help and support from your professors and peers, and try to focus on learning and growing rather than just achieving a high GPA. Your passion and dedication to the field will ultimately be what sets you apart and leads to success in your career.

1. Is a degree in NE with a low GPA worth anything?

Yes, a degree in NE (nuclear engineering) can still hold value, even with a low GPA. While GPA is important, it is not the only factor considered by employers and graduate schools.

2. How will a low GPA in an NE degree affect my job prospects?

A low GPA may make it more challenging to secure certain jobs, but there are still many opportunities available. Employers also consider relevant experience, skills, and personal qualities when making hiring decisions.

3. Will a low GPA in an NE degree prevent me from getting into graduate school?

It may make it more difficult to get into certain graduate programs, but a low GPA is not always a deal-breaker. Some schools place more emphasis on other factors such as research experience, personal statements, and letters of recommendation.

4. Can I still pursue a career in NE with a low GPA in my degree?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in NE with a low GPA. There are various roles in the field, and some may not require a high GPA. Additionally, gaining experience and skills through internships, research, and projects can make you a competitive candidate.

5. Are there any steps I can take to make up for a low GPA in my NE degree?

Yes, there are several steps you can take to make up for a low GPA. You can retake courses to improve your grades, gain relevant experience through internships or research opportunities, and highlight other strengths in your job applications and graduate school applications.