Mohrs Circle, Von Mises and Minimum Yield Strength Help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum yield strength of an element using Mohr's circle and the Von Mises equation. The textbook gives the answer of 660.4MPa, but the individual is confused on how to arrive at this value. After checking and confirming their calculations, they realize that they were using the wrong method (Tresca instead of Von Mises). The conversation also touches on the differences between the two methods and how Tresca is considered more conservative in estimating maximum stress.
Mairi
Hi

Wasn't sure where to post this, hope it's ok in here!

I've gotten myself very confused as to how to find the minimum yield strength for an element. I have used Mohrs circle to find sigma1 and sigma2, then plugged that into the von mises equation to find sigma-von = 636.8MPa. The textbook gives me the answer of minimum yield strength of 660.4MPa, but how do I get to that? I've checked and double checked my sigma1 and 2 answers (610.2 and -50.2)and I think they are correct. Not sure where to go from here and neither lecture slides nor textbook are helping much!

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello mairi, welcome to Physics Forums.

What values of sigma-x and sigma-y (and tau if they exist) did you start with?

Woops might have been an idea to state that in the first place! Sigma-x was 560MPa, sigma-y 0MPa and tau-xy was 175MPa.

Well I agree with your figures for both the Mohr circle and by direct calculation.

Incidentally you do not need a Mohr circle for the stress state indicated.

If σy = 0 then Von Mises can be written

[tex]Y = \sqrt {\sigma _x^2 + 3\tau _{xy}^2} [/tex]

as an alternative to the formula using σ1 and σ2

So I would be interested if you have a reference or could post more of this book.

Are you sure you haven;t got the Tresca and Von Mises ctiteria mixed up?

The formula for the Tresca max stress is

[tex]Y = \sqrt {\sigma _x^2 + 4\tau _{xy}^2} [/tex]

or the max difference of principel stresses.

Either way that works out to the 660.4 MPa in your book.

:blushing: You're absolutely right, I didn't register that the question was asking me for the max-shear-stress theory not max-distortion energy! Silly mistake!

But thank you :D

They are actually both shear stress theories, but offer different estimates of the maximum shear stress encountered, given a particular state of stress at some point.

The Tresca method estimates the actual max stress as being (slightly) higher than does the Von Mises theory.

Are you comfortable with how this leads to the the conclusion that Tresca is more conservative or that the failure envelope is smaller?

Last edited:
Yes that makes sense. Thank you!

1. What is Mohr's Circle and how is it used in material science?

Mohr's Circle is a graphical representation of stress and strain data for a material. It is used in material science to determine the principal stresses and maximum shear stress on a material under different loading conditions.

2. What is the significance of Von Mises stress in materials testing?

Von Mises stress is a measure of the combined effect of normal and shear stresses on a material. It is important in materials testing because it helps determine the strength and deformation behavior of a material under different loading conditions.

3. How is the Minimum Yield Strength of a material determined?

The Minimum Yield Strength of a material is determined through tensile testing. A sample of the material is subjected to tension until it reaches its yield point, at which point the stress and strain values are recorded. The Minimum Yield Strength is the stress at which the material begins to exhibit permanent deformation.

4. What is the relationship between Mohr's Circle and Von Mises stress?

Mohr's Circle is used to graphically represent the stress state of a material, including the principal stresses and maximum shear stress. Von Mises stress is calculated using the principal stresses and is a measure of the combined effect of normal and shear stresses. Therefore, Mohr's Circle can be used to determine the Von Mises stress on a material.

5. How do Mohr's Circle and Von Mises stress play a role in material failure analysis?

Mohr's Circle and Von Mises stress are important tools in material failure analysis. By plotting the stress state of a material on Mohr's Circle, we can determine if the material is close to failure or if it has already exceeded its maximum stress limit. Von Mises stress, on the other hand, can help us understand how different loading conditions affect the integrity of a material and can be used to predict when and how a material might fail.