Qns on euler-lagrangian equation

• Thread starter almo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around the various notation and terms used in the equation, specifically the terms "functional" and "small real parameter". The concept of a functional is explained as a map that takes differentiable functions as inputs and returns numbers as outputs. The source also recommends a book for further understanding.
almo
I find it hard to undestand the various notation used for the equation.
Am i wrong to understand the equation as finding the maxima or the minima of an function?
However, the terms like functional and small real parameter confuses me.
I read up on what's a functional and can't really understand, so far my understanding of its, is that its a function where by instead of x, a varible, it consist of vectors like velocity and etc. Thus, am i wrong to say equation of KE is actually a functional?
On the part of small real parameter ε.. i just have no idea. All i can infer is that is a change in the vector. But where is there this need to implictly express such a term?
Is euler-lagrangian eq considered as tough for an undergrad?
i am seriously struggling with it...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a vector space is? A functional is a map whose domain is a subset of a vector space and which takes scalar values.

In the context of your question a typical vector space would be the set of differentiable functions on the interval [0,1].
[itex] V =\{ y(x)| y\, \text{is differentiable in a neighborhood of the interval}\, [0,1]\}[/itex]

An example of a functional would be a map [itex] \mathcal{F}(y)[/itex] with domain
[itex] \{y\in V| y(0)=1,\, y(1)=5\}[/itex] and which is defined by a formula such as
[itex] \mathcal{F}(y) = \int_a^b \sqrt{1+(y')^2}\, dx [/itex]

In plainer language, in the context of calculus of variations, functionals take ordinary functions as inputs and return numbers as outputs.

A good basic reference would be Gelfand "Calculus of Variations".

What is the Euler-Lagrangian equation?

The Euler-Lagrangian equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the dynamics of a physical system, such as a particle or a field. It is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action, a measure of the system's energy.

What is the significance of the Euler-Lagrangian equation?

The Euler-Lagrangian equation is significant because it allows us to accurately predict the behavior of physical systems. By solving this equation, we can determine the path that a system will take and the corresponding energy of the system at any given time. This equation is also a fundamental tool in theoretical physics and has applications in various fields such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

What are the variables in the Euler-Lagrangian equation?

The variables in the Euler-Lagrangian equation are the dependent variable, which represents the physical quantity being described, and the independent variables, which represent the parameters that affect the behavior of the system. These variables can include time, position, and velocity.

How is the Euler-Lagrangian equation derived?

The Euler-Lagrangian equation is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action. This principle is applied to a Lagrangian function, which is a mathematical function that describes the energy of a system in terms of its position and velocity. By taking the derivative of the Lagrangian function with respect to the dependent variable, we obtain the Euler-Lagrangian equation.

What are some real-world applications of the Euler-Lagrangian equation?

The Euler-Lagrangian equation has many real-world applications, including predicting the motion of celestial bodies, analyzing the behavior of fluids, and understanding the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It is also used in engineering and robotics to design efficient and stable systems. Additionally, it has applications in economics, where it is used to model supply and demand in the market.