Register to reply

Qns on euler-lagrangian equation

by almo
Tags: equation, eulerlagrangian
Share this thread:
almo
Nov30-12, 09:57 AM
P: 8
I find it hard to undestand the various notation used for the equation.
Am i wrong to understand the equation as finding the maxima or the minima of an function?
However, the terms like functional and small real parameter confuses me.
I read up on whats a functional and cant really understand, so far my understanding of its, is that its a function where by instead of x, a varible, it consist of vectors like velocity and etc. Thus, am i wrong to say equation of KE is actually a functional?
On the part of small real parameter ε.. i just have no idea. All i can infer is that is a change in the vector. But where is there this need to implictly express such a term?
Is euler-lagrangian eq considered as tough for an undergrad?
i am seriously struggling with it...
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Vargo
Nov30-12, 11:10 AM
P: 350
Do you know what a vector space is? A functional is a map whose domain is a subset of a vector space and which takes scalar values.

In the context of your question a typical vector space would be the set of differentiable functions on the interval [0,1].
[itex] V =\{ y(x)| y\, \text{is differentiable in a neighborhood of the interval}\, [0,1]\}[/itex]

An example of a functional would be a map [itex] \mathcal{F}(y)[/itex] with domain
[itex] \{y\in V| y(0)=1,\, y(1)=5\}[/itex] and which is defined by a formula such as
[itex] \mathcal{F}(y) = \int_a^b \sqrt{1+(y')^2}\, dx [/itex]

In plainer language, in the context of calculus of variations, functionals take ordinary functions as inputs and return numbers as outputs.

A good basic reference would be Gelfand "Calculus of Variations".

Register to reply