Why do triangular shapes work best for distributing weight in bridge building?

In summary, the conversation discusses building bridges and learning about truss and truss variations, specifically the use of triangular shapes. The triangular shape is preferred because it is the only convex polygon with intrinsic strength and changing any of its angles also changes the length of one of its sides. This makes it ideal for distributing pressure/load evenly.
HeJind
Sorry if my English is bad. We're building bridges and learning about truss and truss variations, but I'm still confused as to why the triangular shapes work best and what they achieve. How would I know side would be compressed and which would be tense?

We have to build a bridge using roughly 10 dozen popsicle sticks. If I want to apply pressure/load to the middle, how would I design the bridge to distribute this evenly?

Apparantly last year someone got over 570llbs

Engineering news on Phys.org
Triangles "work best" because they're the only convex polygon that has intrinsic strength. You cannot change any angle of a triangle without also changing the length of one of the sides. You can change the angles of any other convex polygon without changing the length of any side; e.g. a square can be deformed into a parallelogram.

1. How does distributing load weight affect the stability of a structure?

Distributing load weight evenly throughout a structure helps to maintain balance and stability. If the load is concentrated in one area, it can cause the structure to become unbalanced and potentially collapse. By distributing the weight, the structure is better able to withstand external forces and maintain its integrity.

2. What factors should be considered when determining how to distribute load weight?

The factors that should be considered include the weight and size of the load, the materials and design of the structure, and the location and distribution of support points. It is important to evenly distribute the weight to avoid putting too much stress on any one area of the structure.

3. How can load weight be distributed in a structure?

Load weight can be distributed in a variety of ways, depending on the structure and the load. One method is to use beams or columns to evenly distribute the weight across the structure. Another option is to use a truss system, which distributes the weight along the entire length of the structure. Additionally, adding support or reinforcement to weak points can help distribute the load weight more evenly.

4. What are the consequences of not properly distributing load weight?

If load weight is not properly distributed, it can lead to structural failure, as well as potential safety hazards. Uneven weight distribution can cause stress and strain on certain areas of the structure, which can weaken or damage it over time. This can also result in costly repairs or even collapse of the structure.

5. How can computer simulations help with distributing load weight?

Computer simulations can help engineers and scientists determine the best way to distribute load weight by analyzing different scenarios and predicting how the structure will respond. These simulations can also help identify potential weak points and suggest ways to reinforce them. This can save time and resources in the design and construction process and ensure the safety and stability of the structure.