Tags: kernt, kert
Share this thread:
BrainHurts
Dec6-12, 03:47 AM
P: 84
I need some help understanding the following definition:

Definition: Let A[itex]\in[/itex]Mn(ℂ) the complex vector space

C(A)={X[itex]\in[/itex]Mn(ℂ) : XA=AX}

For A[itex]\in[/itex]Mn(ℂ) which is similar to A* we define the complex vector spaces:

C(A,A*)={S[itex]\in[/itex]Mn(ℂ) : SA=A*S}

H(A,A*)={H[itex]\in[/itex]Mn(ℂ): H is Hermitian and HA=A*H} [itex]\subset[/itex] C(A,A*)

Define a map T:C(A,A*)→H(A,A*) by T(S)=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]S + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]S*

As a map between real vector spaces, T is linear and Kern(T)={X[itex]\in[/itex]Mn: X is skew Hermitian}=iH(A,A*)

I just want to make sure that my understanding is correct and what is "Kern" short for
To say that P[itex]\in[/itex]Kern(T) means that P is an element of C(A,A*) which means that PA=A*P such that P is skew Hermitian

the defintion is from the paper I am reading it is by J. Vermeer on page 263

http://www.math.technion.ac.il/iic/e..._pp258-283.pdf

Thank you for any further comments
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
micromass
Dec6-12, 11:06 AM
Mentor
P: 18,019
A matrix P is an element of Kern(T) if [itex]P\in C(A,A^*)[/itex] and if [itex]T(P)=0[/itex].
So you know that
[tex]PA=A^*P~\text{and}~\frac{1}{2}P+\frac{1}{2}P^*=0[/tex]

The paper now claims that

[tex]Kern(T)=iH(A,A^*)[/tex]

and that these are exactly the skew Hermitian matrices. This is not a definition of Kern(T), but it is a theorem.
BrainHurts
Dec6-12, 01:14 PM
So I know we can look at the set of Hermitian matricies analogous to the real number (I think)

so let A be Hermitian. Then A can be written as A=B+iC where B and C are Hermitian.

If we look at that linear map it's like looking at the identity of complex numbers.

let z=x+iy

x=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](z+[itex]\overline{z}[/itex])

so if 0=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](z+[itex]\overline{z}[/itex]),then z is purely imaginary

so if we look at P in the Kern(T)

it's like saying P is skew-Hermitian which is analgous to a number being purely imaginary

and if A=A* it's like saying z=[itex]\overline{z}[/itex],then z is real, so if A = A* and A=B+iC this implies that C=0
right?

micromass
Dec6-12, 06:32 PM
Mentor
P: 18,019
Kern(T) not the Ker(T)

Quote Quote by BrainHurts View Post
So I know we can look at the set of Hermitian matricies analogous to the real number (I think)

so let A be Hermitian. Then A can be written as A=B+iC where B and C are Hermitian.
But if A is hermitian,then C=0.

If we look at that linear map it's like looking at the identity of complex numbers.

let z=x+iy

x=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](z+[itex]\overline{z}[/itex])

so if 0=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](z+[itex]\overline{z}[/itex]),then z is purely imaginary

so if we look at P in the Kern(T)

it's like saying P is skew-Hermitian which is analgous to a number being purely imaginary

and if A=A* it's like saying z=[itex]\overline{z}[/itex],then z is real, so if A = A* and A=B+iC this implies that C=0
right?
OK, so you have the right analogue statements. But can you now prove the result for P directly?
BrainHurts
Dec8-12, 09:11 PM
So let me start with this assertion he makes

"S[itex]\in[/itex]C(A,A*) implies S*[itex]\in[/itex]C(A,A*)

this is done by one of his "standard propositions"

for the proof of Kern(T)=iH(A,A*)

1) Kern(T)[itex]\subseteq[/itex]iH(A,A*)

let P [itex]\in[/itex] Kern(T)

then PA=A*P and [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]P+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]P*=0

So P=-P*

It follows that P is skew hermitian and P[itex]\in[/itex]iH(A,A*)

so Kern(T)[itex]\subseteq[/itex]iH(A,A*)

Similarly let P[itex]\in[/itex]iH(A,A*), let S=iP

Then SA=A*S such that S is skew Hermitian (if P is Hermitian, then iP is skew Hermitian)

this is the part that I'm getting stuck on

Register to reply