Register to reply

Binominal series

by Nikitin
Tags: binominal, series
Share this thread:
Nikitin
Dec14-12, 02:05 PM
P: 632
Hello. I'm revising the material in preparation for the exam, and I found something I fail at understanding.

When defining binomial series, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_series, why is the sum of the binomial "(m k)" going from 1 to ? Shouldn't it instead be going from 1 to m (the function can only be differentiated m times)?

Afterall, binomial series are a form of taylor series, and a taylor series of a function can't have infinite terms when the function can only be differentiated a finite amount of times.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researcher figures out how sharks manage to act like math geniuses
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Michael Redei
Dec14-12, 02:25 PM
P: 181
Which function can only be differentiated m times? The binomial series is the Taylor series at x=0 of (1+x)α for some complex number α. And (1+x)α can be differentiated infinitely often, unless α is a non-negative integer.
jbriggs444
Dec14-12, 02:26 PM
P: 999
Just because all but finitely many terms are zero does not mean that you cannot consider a series as having infinitely many terms. The function f(x) = (1+x)^m can be differentiated more than m times. It's just that all of the derivitives are eventually zero.

It looks to me like a choice to make the summation look more like the generic form of the Taylor series (which it is, after all) rather than an equally accurate truncation thereof.

Nikitin
Dec14-12, 04:03 PM
P: 632
Binominal series

Michael: oops, sorry. My book used the notation of m instead of a, and I have little knowledge of complex numbers (I'm only doing my 1st semester).

jbriggs: yeh, so it's just a formal thing? Allright, that's good enough 4 me :)
awkward
Dec14-12, 06:19 PM
P: 327
The binomial series for [itex](1+x)^\alpha[/itex] has infinitely many terms except when [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a non-negative integer (even when [itex]\alpha[/itex] is real).

Register to reply