Why does the binomial series have an infinite number of terms?

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, when defining binomial series, the sum of the binomial "(m k)" goes from 1 to ∞ because the function (1+x)^\alpha can be differentiated infinitely often unless \alpha is a non-negative integer. This is a formal choice to make the summation resemble the generic form of the Taylor series rather than a truncated version. The binomial series has infinitely many terms unless \alpha is a non-negative integer.
Nikitin
Hello. I'm revising the material in preparation for the exam, and I found something I fail at understanding.

When defining binomial series, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_series, why is the sum of the binomial "(m k)" going from 1 to ? Shouldn't it instead be going from 1 to m (the function can only be differentiated m times)?

Afterall, binomial series are a form of taylor series, and a taylor series of a function can't have infinite terms when the function can only be differentiated a finite amount of times.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Which function can only be differentiated m times? The binomial series is the Taylor series at x=0 of (1+x)α for some complex number α. And (1+x)α can be differentiated infinitely often, unless α is a non-negative integer.

Just because all but finitely many terms are zero does not mean that you cannot consider a series as having infinitely many terms. The function f(x) = (1+x)^m can be differentiated more than m times. It's just that all of the derivitives are eventually zero.

It looks to me like a choice to make the summation look more like the generic form of the Taylor series (which it is, after all) rather than an equally accurate truncation thereof.

Michael: oops, sorry. My book used the notation of m instead of a, and I have little knowledge of complex numbers (I'm only doing my 1st semester).

jbriggs: yeh, so it's just a formal thing? Allright, that's good enough 4 me :)

The binomial series for [itex](1+x)^\alpha[/itex] has infinitely many terms except when [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a non-negative integer (even when [itex]\alpha[/itex] is real).

1. What is a binomial series?

A binomial series is a mathematical series consisting of two terms, such as (a + b). It is used to expand the power of a binomial expression, where the exponent is a positive integer, using the binomial theorem. It is also known as a binomial expansion or binomial coefficient.

2. How is a binomial series calculated?

The binomial series is calculated using the binomial theorem, which states that the coefficient of the term with the exponent n in the expansion of (a + b)^n is given by n choose k (nCk), where k is the number of the term in the expansion. The formula for calculating nCk is n!/(k!(n-k)!).

3. What are the applications of binomial series?

Binomial series have many applications in mathematics, science, and statistics. They are used in probability and statistics to calculate the chances of an event occurring, in calculus to approximate values of functions, and in algebra to expand and simplify expressions.

4. What is the difference between a binomial series and a binomial distribution?

A binomial series is a mathematical series consisting of two terms, while a binomial distribution is a probability distribution that describes the likelihood of obtaining a certain number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials. The binomial series is used to expand binomial expressions, while the binomial distribution is used to model real-world situations with discrete outcomes.

5. Can a binomial series have an infinite number of terms?

No, a binomial series has a finite number of terms, equal to the exponent of the binomial expression. For example, the series (a + b)^n has n+1 terms. However, if the exponent is a variable or infinity, the series may have an infinite number of terms, such as in the case of the binomial series for e^(x+y).