Register to reply

Fundamental Group of the Torus-Figure 8

by sammycaps
Tags: fundamental, torusfigure
Share this thread:
sammycaps
Dec19-12, 08:07 AM
P: 91
So I'm revamping the question I had posted here, after a bit of work.

I'm concerned with the homomorphism induced by the inclusion of the Figure 8 into the Torus, and why it is surjective. There seem to be a lot of semi-explanations, but I just wanted to see if the one I thought of makes sense.

So, we know that the fundamental group of the Figure 8 is isomorphic to the free product on 2 generators (i.e. of two copies of the integers), and the fundamental group on the torus is isomorphic to the cartesian product of two copies of the integers.

So, I don't know if there is a homomorphism j* such that this diagram commutes, for f and g isomorphisms from above, but if there is then this diagram commutes,

[itex]\pi[/itex]1(Figure 8) [itex]\stackrel{i*}{\longrightarrow}[/itex] [itex]\pi[/itex]1(Torus)
[itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex][itex]f\downarrow[/itex][itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex][itex]g\downarrow[/itex]
[itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:[/itex][itex]Z[/itex]*[itex]Z[/itex][itex]\:\:\:\:[/itex][itex]\stackrel{j*}{\longrightarrow}[/itex] [itex]\:[/itex][itex]ZZ[/itex]

And then we can do something from there.

Is that going somewhere, or not at all?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
mathwonk
Dec19-12, 11:25 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,499
would n't you represent a torus as a square with identifications, then push off any loop in the square onto the boundary?
sammycaps
Dec19-12, 12:47 PM
P: 91
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
would n't you represent a torus as a square with identifications, then push off any loop in the square onto the boundary?
So, any loop is homotopic to a loop on the boundary? And then any loop on the boundary is a loop of the figure 8? So then would we say the homomorphism induced by inclusion is [itex]i*([a])=[i\circ a]=[a][/itex], so then this induced homomorphism is surjective?

lavinia
Dec19-12, 05:47 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,724
Fundamental Group of the Torus-Figure 8

Quote Quote by sammycaps View Post
So, any loop is homotopic to a loop on the boundary? And then any loop on the boundary is a loop of the figure 8? So then would we say the homomorphism induced by inclusion is [itex]i*([a])=[i\circ a]=[a][/itex], so then this induced homomorphism is surjective?
you can think of the torus as a figure 8 with a disk attached. The boundary of the disk is attached to the loop aba[itex]^{-1}[/itex]b[itex]^{-1}[/itex] on the figure 8. This is what Mathwonk is saying.

Van kampen's Theorem then gives you the result you are looking for.

BTW: Think about the same ideas for tori with more than one handle.

Register to reply