How to apply for a job in Industry with a degree in Applied mathematics?

In summary, the conversation is about the individual's search for industry jobs after completing a degree in Applied Mathematics. They mention using mathjobs.org for academia jobs and are now looking for templates for cover letters and websites to apply for company jobs. They also mention the difference in application processes for government and private sector jobs and ask for website suggestions. The conversation ends with a suggestion to check out the SIAM website and create a LinkedIn profile.
math8
For Academia jobs, I used www.mathjobs.org, and it's quite good.

I will have a degree in Applied-Mathematics (Numerical Optimization and Operation research).
I am trying to apply for Industry jobs. However I am not sure how or where to apply. I heard the application process can be quite different than for an Academic position.

I am looking for templates of cover letters, and websites on where to apply for company jobs and any tips than can help me in the application process.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey math8.

If you are applying for government jobs you will need to do it a little differently than if you apply to the private sector (my experience in my own country Australia, but yours might be different).

I am looking for jobs in the private sector (I might not be eligible for the government jobs). In the US. Do you know of any websites?

Sorry I do not, but hopefully someone else will be able to help you.

There are numerous job search sites out there. One common source for job searches in the private sector is Monster (http://www.monster.com).

Since you graduated with a degree in Applied Mathematics, you can try checking out the Careers link in the SIAM website:

http://www.siam.org/careers/

I would also suggest setting up a profile on LinkedIn, highlighting your education, skills, and any publications you may have under your belt (since you're applying for academic positions, I'm assuming you would be completing your PhD shortly, and thus have a publication list).

1. How can I use my degree in applied mathematics to apply for a job in industry?

A degree in applied mathematics can open up a wide range of job opportunities in various industries such as finance, data analysis, research, and technology. The skills and knowledge gained from this degree, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis, are highly valued in the industry.

2. What types of jobs can I apply for with a degree in applied mathematics?

With a degree in applied mathematics, you can apply for various job roles such as data analyst, financial analyst, risk analyst, operations research analyst, actuary, and many more. These job roles require strong mathematical and analytical skills, which are developed through an applied mathematics degree.

3. What skills are necessary for applying for a job in industry with a degree in applied mathematics?

Apart from strong mathematical and analytical skills, some essential skills for applying for a job in industry with a degree in applied mathematics include problem-solving abilities, critical thinking, programming skills, knowledge of statistical software, and the ability to communicate complex concepts effectively.

4. Do I need any additional qualifications or certifications to apply for a job in industry with a degree in applied mathematics?

While a degree in applied mathematics is a valuable qualification, having additional qualifications or certifications can make you stand out in the job market. Some relevant certifications for applied mathematics graduates include Certified Analytics Professional (CAP), Financial Risk Manager (FRM), and SAS Certified Statistical Business Analyst.

5. How can I make my resume stand out when applying for jobs in industry with a degree in applied mathematics?

To make your resume stand out, you should highlight your mathematical and analytical skills, any relevant coursework or projects, and any previous work experience or internships in a related field. Additionally, you can mention any coding or programming languages you are proficient in and any relevant certifications or awards you have received.