What is the Relationship Between Input Shaft Angle and Torque in U-Joints?

In summary: Thanks for the input. This will help me make a better decision.In summary, when using a U-jointed shaft, a larger angle will reduce the life of the joint. There is a percentage increase in torque to drive the input shaft as its angle increases to say 15, 30, 45, 90 degrees relative to the output shaft that stays at 0 degrees. This percentage increase changes depending on the speed of the motor.
BretMan
Hello,

I need to select an appropriate electric motor for a drive mechanism which includes a U-Joint. It's understood that rotational variances occur in U Joints as the angle of the input shaft increases relative to the output shaft. Can someone refresh my memory as this relates to torque? In other words, is there a percentage increase in torque to drive the input shaft as its angle increases to say 15, 30, 45, 90 degrees relative to the output shaft that stays at 0 degrees? If so, what's the percentage increase at each increment - or at least a general rule of thumb?

Many thanks.

Bret

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's not so much the change in torque that is the problem with shafts coupled by U-joints. The life of the joint is greatly reduced once the angle increases beyond a very small amount, unless the torque applied to the joint is greatly reduced.

For instance, if a given shaft and joint is rated to transmit 300 ft-lb of torque at an angle of 3 degrees, the same shaft will only be capable of transmitting 100 ft-lb of
torque if the angle increases to 10 degrees.

For larger angles, U-jointed shafts are not practical.

Thanks SteamKing. Good thing that I asked. I seem to remember now about this limitation but didn't remember it to be as dramatic. I may need to reconsider the electric motor. However, don't you think that at least the wear issue could be reduced by going with lower RPMs , say under 100 RPM or even a manual crank?

It depends on what kind of motor you want to use. If you have a motor turning at high speed (say 1800 rpm) and you wish to reduce the output speed to 100 rpm, then the speed reduction will also result in a torque magnification. For instance:

1 ft-lb at 1800 rpm = 18 ft-lb at 100 rpm

It's hard to suggest anything without knowing more about how your drive mechanism is situated between the motor input and the output of the drive mechanism.

What I'll do then is jig a physical test with a torque wrench, create some resistance constant, and see what the readings are with each change of the angles. I'll post my findings.

1. What are universal joints and how do they work?

Universal joints are mechanical devices that are used to transfer torque or rotary motion between two shafts that are not in a straight line. They work by using a cross-shaped or H-shaped yoke to connect two shafts at a 90-degree angle, allowing them to rotate without affecting each other's alignment.

2. What is the purpose of a universal joint?

The main purpose of a universal joint is to transmit torque or rotary motion between two shafts that are not in a straight line. This allows for more flexibility in the design of machinery and allows for power to be transmitted even when the two shafts are at an angle.

3. How do you calculate the torque in a universal joint?

The torque in a universal joint can be calculated by using the formula T=K x P, where T is the torque, K is a constant called the universal joint constant, and P is the applied force. The universal joint constant takes into account the angle between the two shafts and the design of the joint.

4. What factors affect the torque capacity of a universal joint?

The torque capacity of a universal joint can be affected by several factors, including the angle between the two shafts, the type and design of the joint, the materials used, and the lubrication of the joint. Higher angles and poor lubrication can decrease the torque capacity, while a stronger joint design and better materials can increase it.

5. What are some common applications of universal joints?

Universal joints have many applications in various industries, including automotive, agriculture, construction, and aerospace. They are commonly used in drive shafts, steering systems, and power transmission systems, among others, to transfer torque between non-aligned shafts. They are also used in robotics and other mechanical systems where flexibility and power transmission are necessary.