Register to reply

Spherical Pendulum

by praeclarum
Tags: function, pendulum, spherical
Share this thread:
praeclarum
Jan3-13, 05:44 PM
P: 34
I thought of this question the other day, and I was unable to solve it. A Google search has not helped, so I thought I might post it here.

A point mass hangs from a rod of length "l" from the center of a pendulum. The only forces acting upon the point mass are the force of gravity and the force of constraint (keeping it distance "l" from the center). Is there a function that describes the motion of the point mass?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
tiny-tim
Jan3-13, 05:50 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
hi praeclarum!
Quote Quote by praeclarum View Post
A point mass hangs from a rod of length "l" from the center of a pendulum. The only forces acting upon the point mass are the force of gravity and the force of constraint (keeping it distance "l" from the center). Is there a function that describes the motion of the point mass?
do you mean two pendulums hinged together?

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help!
praeclarum
Jan3-13, 06:03 PM
P: 34
OK. It's not as complicated as a double pendulum. It's just a single pendulum where the mass is constrained to a sphere (rather than the 2-dimensional case where you have a circle).

Well, one thought I had was to solve for the potential energy of the system, since that's just

mgh+1/2mv^2 = C

The mass is just a constant, and we can get rid of it.

From this point, I am stuck, however, and I don't know where to go from here. I was thinking the initial velocity must be perpendicular to the force of constraint and was wondering if you could split up the motion into just x and y components to solve it, but that seemed fruitless upon inspection.

I am looking for a general function that describes the motion of the point around the sphere. Your help is appreciated greatly.

tiny-tim
Jan3-13, 06:11 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Spherical Pendulum

so it's basically a mass moving on the inside of a sphere?

hmm in linear problems we usually use conservation of energy and conservation of momentum, sooo
have you tried conservation of angular momentum ?

Register to reply