Statistical uncertainty of weighted mean

by Brais
Tags: statistical, uncertainty, weighted
Share this thread:
Brais
Nov9-12, 11:56 AM
P: 7
Hello!

I am using physical data to do an analysis (~30k measurements). These measurements include energies, momenta, angles... of particles.
I am calculating a value (call it v) at the end after a lengthy process, and if I introduce all the data into my program I did, the result is vσ.
If, however, I "bin" my events in energy and angle (say I made four bins in total), when I calculate "v", I get v1σ1, v2σ2, v3σ3, v4σ4. Then I combine these values into one using a weighted average (c stands for combined): [itex] v_c = \sum(v_i/\sigma^2_i)/\sum(1/\sigma^2_i)[/itex], and [itex]\sigma_c = 1/\sqrt{\sum(1/\sigma^2_i)}[/itex] (as can be seen here).
When I do this, it turns out that [itex]\sigma_c \simeq \sigma/2[/itex]. How can this be? I am using the same amount of statistics!

Any reply or idea will be very welcome!!

Thank you!

Brais.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
chiro
Nov9-12, 05:52 PM
P: 4,572
Hey Brais.

The wiki article looks straight-forward, but perhaps you could just outline your calculations in a little more detail step by step to show the simplifications and assumptions you used.
Brais
Nov10-12, 04:49 AM
Hi, thanks for your reply!
I am calculating a fit. If I put all my data together I get an error that is higher than that of fitting different sets of points separately and then combining them with a weighted mean.
I didn't do any simplification, just applied the expression seen in wikipedia.

Brais

Stephen Tashi
Nov10-12, 09:28 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,248
Statistical uncertainty of weighted mean

Quote Quote by Brais View Post
I didn't do any simplification, just applied the expression seen in wikipedia.
Brais
You are using a formula from that article that applies when you know the standard deviations of the distributions that are involved, but I'd guess that you don't. Your [itex] \sigma_i [/itex] are probably estimators of standard deviations that you computed from the sample. (The term "standard deviation" is ambiguous. It has at least 5 different meanings in statistics, depending on the context where it appears.)
chiro
Nov10-12, 06:49 PM
P: 4,572
Following Stephen Tashi's post, you should probably just clarify exactly what attribute you are using.
Brais
Feb1-13, 09:32 AM
Hi again!

A long time ago I had to stop this analysis and so my doubt wasn't importantr for some time :)
I use the errors that my minimization algorithm "MINUIT" gives. Unfortunatelly I cannot find anything except that it (obviously) calculates a covariance matrix and error matrix...

Thanks,

Brais

Register to reply