Projectile problem

by Gamerex
Tags: projectile
Gamerex
Feb12-13, 08:35 PM
P: 25
My physics instructor and I were arguing about this today. It was a problem involving ranges, but the fundamental issue is this:

If you aim a projectile at a target, and the projectile passes 10 meters below the target, do you aim 10 meters above the target to compensate?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
jedishrfu
Feb12-13, 08:44 PM
P: 2,482
I would say no. It's perhaps a useful approximation. The reason is ideal flight of a projectile is a parabola. You'd be shooting from the same spot both times. If you were to plot both trajectories out there may be one spot where the difference is 10m but not at all spots.

The real case is more complicated with air resistance blunting the parabolic flight causing the projectile to drop more quickly toward end of the flight. Again there's probably one spot where your 10m difference holds but not at all spots.

Wikipedia has an article on "range of a projectile"
sophiecentaur
Feb13-13, 10:18 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,370
That method of compensation will work to some extent but it depends upon the details of the trajectory. If the projectile dips 10m over a 50m range, aiming 10m high will not do the job. Over a km, the method will give a much better result. Compensating in this way relies on assuming that the flight time is the same for both elevations (and, hence, the amount of drop). In fact, it never is the same but the error is less for a less curved, flatter, trajectory (as with the high velocity 1km example).

Register to reply