How Can I Accurately Model Heat Transfer in a Simplified Hydraulic Press Setup?

In summary, the problem is a two dimensional (Axial and Radial),steady state heat transfer problem with no internal heat generation. There is a mould,which is heated axially by heater plates and also radially by jackets. The mould is housed by a mould container which has got an insulation scheme. The known parameters are Mould surface temperature, Heater plate surface temperature and ambient temperature @ steady state. The objective is to find the temperature on the surface of mould container and the top surface of support plate.
gorygod
Hi all,

This is my first post in PF. This is a heat transfer problem.I have started to learn the basics of Heat transfer (I'm in 3rd yr engg).My project coordinator has allocated a problem and I'm having tough time solving it.

The Problem statement :(Pl find the attached images)

The setup is a hydraulic press for curing rubber and plastics.(the setup is greatly simplified to show thermal related aspects).

The problem is a two dimensional (Axial and Radial),Steady state heat transfer with no internal heat generation.

There is a mould,which is heated axially by heater plates and also radially by jackets.

The mould is housed by a mould container which has got an insulation scheme(Pl find in image)

The heater plates are insulated from support plates by insulator material.

There is a rectangular cutout in the mould housing which is a provision for plate heating fluid hose.

The known parameters are Mould surface temperature , Heater plate surface temperature and ambient temperature @ steady state.

The objective is to find the temperature on the surface of mould container and the top surface of support plate.(T1 and T2 in image)

Approach:
1) for axial heat transfer(Via heater plate to support plate) I considered it as a wall problem since all the the dimensions and thermal conductivity values were known.
2) for radial heat transfer i considered it as concentric cylinder problem.I have also considered radiation from mould to aluminium sheet and from mould container to outside(Pl refer attached image).

I will provide the calculations if wanted.

For both the approaches I assumed h (Convective heat transfer coefficient value) based on air velocity.Is that correct ?

The greatest problem I'm facing is the presence of square cut out. Since heat is directly lost by convection and radiation via cut out,I cannot correctly predict how much heat from mould will be transferred to the aluminium sheet.

I have tried looking for solutions in Heat transfer books but I'm not sure how to fit the problem of flow over vertical cylinder with cutout with standard models.

My co-ordinator wants a Theoretical calculation to roughly predict some values before going to FEA.

Can anyone help me.Please provide some references,case studies or documents

Sorry for a long post.And forgive me if i have misstated or under stated something.I'll explain with more clarity if needed.

Thanks for patiently going through my post.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• setup_withstand.jpg
    setup_withstand.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 468
  • fortemp.jpg
    fortemp.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 395
  • revcutoutview.jpg
    revcutoutview.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 434
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is my Description of the Problem not proper ?.I'll correct it in my next post.Please Reply

Is there something wrong with my question .Is it the way I have asked or have I posted it in a wrong Forum ? please reply.I'm new to this. I'll correct myself based on some feedback.

Not even a single reply even for courtesy.Do PF members think I'm an Idiot ?
I did not ask for solution.What I asked after all was some guidance.I tried my best and I'm trying even harder.Even my professors are struggling to help me.I'm still confident that many members and mentors are brilliant enough to crack this one.If I have done any thing wrong pls write back again so i can correct myself.But this surely is not a way to deal a post.
Regards
gorygod

What is Thermal Analysis Method?

Thermal Analysis Method is a technique used to study the physical and chemical properties of materials as they are heated, cooled, or held at constant temperature. It involves measuring changes in a material's properties, such as weight, volume, or heat flow, as a function of temperature or time.

What are the main types of Thermal Analysis Method?

The main types of Thermal Analysis Method include Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA), Differential Thermal Analysis (DTA), and Thermomechanical Analysis (TMA). Each method measures different properties and is suited for different types of materials.

What are the applications of Thermal Analysis Method?

Thermal Analysis Method is used in a wide range of industries, including pharmaceuticals, polymers, food, and materials science. It is used to study the thermal stability, crystallinity, and phase transitions of materials, as well as to characterize their thermal behavior and determine their composition.

How does Thermal Analysis Method work?

Thermal Analysis Method works by subjecting a sample to controlled heating or cooling, while simultaneously measuring changes in its properties. These changes can indicate phase transitions, decomposition, or other thermal events, which can then be analyzed to determine the characteristics of the material.

What are the advantages of using Thermal Analysis Method?

Thermal Analysis Method is a non-destructive, fast, and accurate technique for studying the properties of materials. It can provide valuable information about the thermal stability, composition, and behavior of materials, and can be used for quality control, research and development, and troubleshooting purposes.