Register to reply

Book Recommendation [Set Theory]

by Bachelier
Tags: book, recommendation, theory
Share this thread:
Bachelier
Feb21-13, 09:33 PM
P: 376
Would you guys recommend the following Book By Paul Cohen as a good (and cheap) intro to set theory and the Continuum Hypothesis.

Set Theory and the Continuum Hypothesis (Dover Books on Mathematics)

Some reviewers attacked Mr. Cohen as being a poor logician. Maybe people were just mad because he tried to prove a beautiful hypothesis that is better (and more elegant) if left unproven.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
nomadreid
Feb22-13, 08:52 AM
P: 562
Yes, I would recommend it. I don't know what silly reviewers you got hold of, but Paul Cohen was a magnificent mathematician. He also explains well. Oh, and by the way, he is not trying to prove the Continuum Hypothesis. Or to disprove it, for that matter. But read the book and you'll find out more.
micromass
Feb22-13, 12:28 PM
Mentor
P: 18,323
No, I wouldn't recommend the book. Don't get me wrong, it's a very interesting and good book. But I think you would benefit from first reading through some basic set theory or logic books. I highly recommend a book like the one from Hrbacek and Jech. Working through that book will get your comfortable with the basic philosophy of set theory. This will help you with reading Cohen.

Bachelier
Feb22-13, 10:49 PM
P: 376
Book Recommendation [Set Theory]

Quote Quote by micromass View Post
No, I wouldn't recommend the book. Don't get me wrong, it's a very interesting and good book. But I think you would benefit from first reading through some basic set theory or logic books. I highly recommend a book like the one from Hrbacek and Jech. Working through that book will get your comfortable with the basic philosophy of set theory. This will help you with reading Cohen.
Got you. Thanks.

BTW the Hypothesis in your statement is impossible to prove no matter what logic we use if we consider the character of the originator of that statement.
micromass
Feb22-13, 11:33 PM
Mentor
P: 18,323
Quote Quote by Bachelier View Post
Got you. Thanks.

BTW the Hypothesis in your statement is impossible to prove no matter what logic we use if we consider the character of the originator of that statement.
If we consider the originator of the statement, then we can easily conclude that it's false
atyy
Feb23-13, 06:47 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 8,655
It's very readable - like "Goedel, Escher Bach" or Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds". So it can also be enjoyed by people who are not serious mathematicians. Most importantly for outsiders, it has a very clear point of view. In that sense it is a good introduction to logic, set theory and the continuum hypothesis.

Register to reply