Register to reply

Rust Production

by nick48
Tags: production, rust
Share this thread:
nick48
Feb18-06, 05:47 PM
P: 1
I am trying to produce iron oxide by placing a iron screw in a glass of water and electrifying it. Is there an easier way to produce rust in larger quantities faster?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Printing the metals of the future
New gadget helps the vision-impaired to read graphs
3D printing helps designers build a better brick
Averagesupernova
Feb19-06, 10:30 AM
P: 2,499
Trying to make thermite are we?
Facial
Feb22-06, 11:45 PM
P: 27
Yes. Put many small pieces of scrap steel in salt water.

Intuitive
Feb23-06, 02:23 AM
P: 271
Rust Production

Quote Quote by nick48
I am trying to produce iron oxide by placing a iron screw in a glass of water and electrifying it. Is there an easier way to produce rust in larger quantities faster?
1. A High current output AC to DC convertor (Heavy Duty Cycle).
Note: Must be AC to DC and not DC to AC.

2. A fully Charged 12/24 volt Deep Cycle Vehicle Battery will work very well.
24 volt High Current output seems to of worked for me when I used to
do Oxide Experiments with Electrolysis, I found there to be a lot of
variety with replacing Saline H2O with Saline H2O2 or Saline Hydrogen
Peroxide
35% by grade.

Note: Solution catalysis - The most commonly used solution catalyst is iron, which when used with H2O2 is referred to as Fenton's Reagent. The reaction requires a slightly acidic pH and results in the formation of highly reactive hydroxyl
pallidin
Feb23-06, 06:05 PM
P: 2,292
Quote Quote by Averagesupernova
Trying to make thermite are we?
That was exactly my thought.
arthuritus
Mar3-06, 08:46 PM
P: 14
I recall that with a little care you can make large quantities of relatively pure rust by mixing steel wool, bleach and vinegar together. Once the rust has formed dilute it with lots of water in a bucket. Leave it to settle, then siphon as much water as possible out. The remaining sludge you can spread out on that oven paper stuff and bake in the oven at a fairly low temperature. Afterwards just screw up the paper and the iron oxide should flake right off. Be careful though; bleach and vinegar gives off a nast amount of chlorine (i think). Whatever gas it is, i'm pretty sure it's poisonous, so do it in a well ventilated space blah blah blah. Im not sure what the best bleach-vinegar ratio was, but maybe it was around 3-1?
This was a while ago so there may be some mistakes; please dont hesitate to correct me.
arthuritus
Mar3-06, 08:49 PM
Oh, and another thing, isnt it possible to make thermite using something else like hemitite? Isn't that just another isotype of iron oxide?
arthuritus
Mar3-06, 08:59 PM
Try searching for some of mrjeffery321 (or something like that) He seems to be quite knowledgeable about these things
Facial
Mar21-06, 01:11 AM
P: 27
Or better yet : find an old alley. There are dumpsters with lots of rust chips that can be taken from the ground.

Register to reply