Engineering Skills: Am I Qualified?

In summary, the conversation discusses the skills needed to be an engineer, including theoretical thinking, analytical abilities, and practical knowledge. The speaker also mentions their introverted personality and interest in new and abstract ideas. Their family doubts their ability due to their lack of hands-on experience, but they are confident in their skills in structural visualization and math/analytical reasoning. The conversation ends with a reminder to think outside the box and be open to new concepts.
stjimmy
I was wondering what skills I need to be an engineer.You see I am very curious and I like to know how things work.I like to be theoritical a lot but I don't like things that aren't useful

I am very good at math and also at science.I love all types of science physics and math in particular. I can grasp concepts quite quickly and am very analytical. However I am not very hands-on or into tinkering.I still like to be practical though.Personailtywise I am very introverted I like to know and go with gut feelings and I also like the abstract and the future a lot.I love the new and also like to be imaginative.I value reason and intellect.I like to keep my options open

My family doubts my ability to be an engineering student.I guess because I am not a hands on person or a tinkerer.I do like to know how things work and also i am very pratical as well.I just don't have a junkyard and take things apart all the time.

I also took a look at an article saying that the main skills are structural visualization and Math/Analytical Reasoning and I am very good at those!

So what do you think! :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi
you can try out things by modeling
you can make some modification so that the disadvantages in the model could be found and you can try to overcome it
thereby you can create a new concept
the only thing you have to do is to THINK WIDER......

1. What qualifications do I need to have to become an engineer?

To become an engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some employers may also require a master's degree or professional certification. Strong math and science skills are also important for engineering.

2. Can I become an engineer if I don't have a degree in engineering?

While a degree in engineering is typically required for most engineering jobs, some employers may consider candidates with a degree in a related field, such as physics or math. However, it may be more difficult to find employment without an engineering degree.

3. What skills do I need to have to be a successful engineer?

In addition to technical skills in math and science, successful engineers also possess strong problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, creativity, and communication skills. They also need to be able to work well in a team and have a strong work ethic.

4. Do I need to have experience to be considered for an engineering job?

While some entry-level engineering positions may not require prior experience, most employers prefer candidates with some experience, whether through internships, co-op programs, or previous engineering projects. This shows that you have practical skills and knowledge in the field.

5. Are there any specific computer skills that are important for engineering?

Yes, computer skills are essential for engineering. You should be proficient in computer-aided design (CAD) software, programming languages, and data analysis tools. Familiarity with different operating systems and software is also beneficial.