Fibre optics for use in lighting?

In summary, it is possible to send enough light down a fibre optic cable to produce 1000 lumens, but it is very difficult to do without a small, bright light source.
James125
Is it possible to send enough light down a fibre optic cable to produce say 1000 Lumens? How would I go about calculating this?

My thoughts here are using fibre optic cables to transfer light from the rooftops of buildings to the rooms inside. Is it possible? I know fibre optics are used to transfer power in MRI machines.

Science news on Phys.org
I would think so, as long as you can get 1,000 lumens into the fiber optic cable to begin with. The problem you'll run into is that without some sort of small, bright light source, like the LED's and lasers they typically use, the amount of light you can pump into them is extremely limited thanks to the very small aperture of the opening. You'd need to focus the light from a much larger area down and get it into the cable. (Without burning up the cable)

A couple of years ago in our labs we had a PhD working on using a lossy fibre to wrap around electric fences so they light up at night to prevent our dairy farmers from zapping themselves. They were able to illuminate over a hundred metres of electric fence so I think you can easily transfer that much energy through your fibre.

wukunlin said:
A couple of years ago in our labs we had a PhD working on using a lossy fibre to wrap around electric fences so they light up at night to prevent our dairy farmers from zapping themselves. They were able to illuminate over a hundred metres of electric fence so I think you can easily transfer that much energy through your fibre.

ummm ... and how did the electric fence produce the continuous light source along its length that was injected into the fibre to light it up ?
The only time I have seen electric fences produce light was from small sparks where it was shorting out to ground

the light source for the fibre must have been back at the start of the fibre, a LED or globe shining into the end of it
ya don't need a PhD to work that out :wink:

cheers
Dave

I never said the light source came from the fence?

The student was probably working on a side project for a partner in the dairy industry. I don't know the details but you do need to find ways to produce fibres with consistent loss so you get a even glow along the fibre (and the fence) instead of just a small spot at the end.

wukunlin said:
I never said the light source came from the fence?

The student was probably working on a side project for a partner in the dairy industry. I don't know the details but you do need to find ways to produce fibres with consistent loss so you get a even glow along the fibre (and the fence) instead of just a small spot at the end.

Seems like the loss would need to be inverse exponential to give an even glow along the length of the fiber -- even harder...

All you need are defects in the fiber surface, more or less evenly distributed ... then it leaks.

When it gets too dim, you need to inject more light. But here they total distance wasn't too great, so probably most of the light was simply transmitted.

I've bumped into an electric fence more than once ... but I did it in full daylight, so this would not have helped me!

1. What are fibre optics and how are they used in lighting?

Fibre optics are thin, transparent strands of glass or plastic that are used to transmit light. In lighting, they are used as a source of illumination by transmitting light from a remote source to a desired location. They are often used in decorative or accent lighting, as well as in high-tech applications such as stage lighting.

2. What are the benefits of using fibre optics for lighting?

One of the main benefits of using fibre optics for lighting is their flexibility. They can be easily bent and twisted, allowing for creative and customizable lighting designs. They also do not emit any heat, making them a safe option for lighting in sensitive areas. Additionally, they are energy efficient and have a long lifespan.

3. How do fibre optics compare to traditional lighting methods?

Fibre optics offer several advantages over traditional lighting methods such as incandescent or fluorescent bulbs. They are more energy efficient, have a longer lifespan, and produce more focused and controllable light. They also do not contain any toxic materials, making them a more environmentally friendly option.

4. Can fibre optics be used for outdoor lighting?

Yes, fibre optics can be used for outdoor lighting. They are resistant to harsh weather conditions and can withstand exposure to UV rays. They can also be used to create unique and eye-catching effects, making them a popular choice for outdoor lighting in commercial and residential settings.

5. Are there any limitations to using fibre optics for lighting?

One limitation of using fibre optics for lighting is that they require a light source at one end, so they cannot be used as standalone light fixtures. They also require special equipment and expertise for proper installation, which can make them more expensive than traditional lighting methods. Additionally, they may not be suitable for all types of lighting, such as general room lighting, as they produce more focused light rather than diffused light.