Exploring Static Electricity: The Science Behind Balloon and Paper Interactions

In summary, the reason a balloon sticks to a wall after being rubbed against cloth is because of the charge imbalance created on its surface. However, in the case of a non-static charge or current, there is no charge imbalance and therefore no attraction to the wall. This is because the number of positive and negative charges are roughly equal in a circuit wire. Additionally, when two conducting wires are placed next to each other, they may push apart or pull together due to the flow of charges. Lastly, static electricity is all about charge imbalances on the surface of a conductor, while current electricity is about the motion of charges inside a conductor.
Aichuk
I was reading that if a balloon is rubbed against cloth, it becomes charged and therefore it sticks to a wall for a short time if I place it against a wall. So how come if I have a non-static charge (current charge) and then I placed small bits of paper besides it, the paper doesn't stick as well.

Sorry if my question sounds idiotic, I just need to clear up some conceptions

Physics news on Phys.org
What causes the balloon to stick to the wall is the charges on the surface of the balloon to be attracted to the wall via an electric field. In the case of a charge current, the number of + and - are roughly equal, so there is no electric field (thus no attraction/repulsion).

Can you explain what you mean by + and - being equal in a current?

By "current charge" do you mean the current flowing in a circuit?

Yes.

Current is the flow of electrons, which we define as negative charge -- this the symbol " - ". Protons are positive charge " + ". In an atom of copper (neutral charge), the number of protons = number of electrons.

A circuit wire is made of of copper (or some other conducting medium). So the number of electrons = number of protons in the wire. Of course, this is not exactly true because there is a "sea" of electrons flowing along the conductive band of the copper lattice when the electricity is flowing. This is why I say + and - are "roughly equal": because it is impossible to say which electron belongs to which atom of copper (they are all flowing!).

So long story short, the number of + and - are roughly equal in the circuit wire so there is NO external electric field generated. However, if you place 2 such conducting wires next to each other, they will push apart or pull together. Do you know why?

Applying a voltage to a circuit causes current to flow through the circuit. But no charges actually leave the circuit, so it stays neutral. It's like water flowing around a loop of pipe. The water flows, but no water leaves the pipe.

@Aichuk

When u rub the balloon, u are creating a charge imbalance (if u rub balloon to your hair, i think the balloon gains electrons from your hair and becomes negatively charged .. but it doesn't really matter if it gains or loses, what matters is.. this creates a charge imbalance).. and its this charge imbalance that is responsible for the "static cling"

However when u have an electric current in a wire, there is no charge imbalance in the wire, the wire is NEUTRAL (its only that there is a flow of either negative or positive charges in one particular direction ), so there will not be any static cling

Static electricity is all about the charge imbalances and its the physics of the SURFACE of a conductor

Current electricity is all about motion of charges and its usually the physics of the current INSIDE a conductor

Aichuk said:
I was reading that if a balloon is rubbed against cloth, it becomes charged and therefore it sticks to a wall for a short time if I place it against a wall. So how come if I have a non-static charge (current charge) and then I placed small bits of paper besides it, the paper doesn't stick as well.

Besides the circuit not being charged, are the small bits of paper charged? You haven't said if you rubbed them against cloth or not. In either case they, of course, don't stick.

1. What is static electricity?

Static electricity is a build-up of electric charges on the surface of an object. This occurs when there is a separation of positive and negative charges on the surface of an object, creating an imbalance of electrons. This build-up of charges can create a force that can be felt or seen, such as when your hair stands up after rubbing a balloon on it.

2. How is static electricity different from current electricity?

Static electricity is different from current electricity because it does not involve the flow of electrons through a conductor. In static electricity, the charges are stationary and do not move, whereas in current electricity, the electrons are flowing through a conductor, creating a continuous flow of electricity.

3. What causes static electricity?

Static electricity is caused by the transfer of electrons between two objects. When two objects come into contact with each other and then separate, the electrons from one object may transfer to the other, creating a build-up of charges on the surface of the objects.

4. How can static electricity be discharged?

Static electricity can be discharged by coming into contact with a conductor, such as touching a metal object. This allows the excess charges to flow from the object to the ground, equalizing the charge and eliminating the build-up of static electricity.

5. Can static electricity be dangerous?

In most cases, static electricity is harmless. However, in certain situations, such as in industrial settings where there are flammable gases or liquids, static electricity can pose a danger. If a spark is created due to a build-up of static electricity, it can ignite these materials and cause a fire or explosion. It is important to take precautions and properly discharge static electricity in these environments.