Is a Coreless Electrical Generator the Future of Renewable Energy?

In summary, the speaker, a self-taught computer programmer, came up with an idea for a coreless electrical generator. They built a prototype and were wondering if it has any value and if anyone has an interest in learning more about how it works. The prototype resembles an 'inside-out' motor and could potentially be built on a larger scale. The speaker no longer has the time or resources to continue working on the project.
LittleBrother
Is a "coreless" electrical generator anything new?
I'm a self-taught computer programmer who came up with an idea for a coreless electrical generator. I didn't even know how a motor or generator worked at the time, so I did a lot of research.
Just for fun, I built a prototype which resembles the images below and has a 14-inch 'hole' and an 18-inch diameter between the coils, and about a 21-inch diameter overall. One could be built much larger with the 'hole' diameter increasing in size but the coils staying 'small'. (I imagine one could even be built the size of a Ferris Wheel.)
I just don't have time (or money) to mess with it anymore. So, I was wondering if anyone here has an interest in it (how it works), or could tell me if something like this has any value, or whatever.
001.JPG

006.JPG

Engineering news on Phys.org
While I'm not familiar with the subject, your illustration looks reminiscent of those 'inside-out' motors that you sometimes find in clocks or other low-torque applications.

Thank you for sharing your idea and prototype of a coreless electrical generator. While I cannot speak to the specific design of your prototype without further information, I can say that the concept of a coreless electrical generator is not entirely new. There have been previous attempts and designs for coreless generators, and they have been used in various applications such as wind turbines and electric vehicles.

One of the main advantages of a coreless generator is that it eliminates the need for a bulky iron core, which can reduce weight and increase efficiency. However, there are also some challenges and limitations with this type of design, such as the need for more precise and complex winding techniques and potential for increased cost.

It is always exciting to see individuals exploring and experimenting with new ideas and concepts, and I encourage you to continue your research and development on this project. Who knows, your coreless generator could potentially have some valuable applications in the future. Thank you for sharing your idea with us.

What is a coreless electrical generator?

A coreless electrical generator is a type of generator that does not have a magnetic core. Instead, it uses a series of coils and magnets to produce electricity.

How does a coreless electrical generator work?

A coreless electrical generator works by rotating a series of magnets inside a set of stationary coils. As the magnets move, they induce a current in the coils, creating electricity.

What are the advantages of using a coreless electrical generator?

One advantage of using a coreless electrical generator is that it is more efficient than traditional generators with a magnetic core. It also produces less heat and has a higher power density, meaning it can produce more electricity in a smaller space.

What are the applications of coreless electrical generators?

Coreless electrical generators are commonly used in small wind turbines, electric vehicles, and micro-hydro power systems. They are also being explored for use in space missions due to their compact size and efficiency.

What are the limitations of coreless electrical generators?

One limitation of coreless electrical generators is that they are currently more expensive to produce than traditional generators. They also require precise engineering and materials, making them more difficult to manufacture. Additionally, they may not be suitable for large-scale power generation due to their smaller size and lower power output.