Beautiful Natural Oceanic Diffraction Patterns

In summary, natural oceanic diffraction patterns are stunning visual displays caused by the interaction of light waves with the surface of the ocean. These patterns can be seen in various forms, such as rippling waves, shimmering reflections, and colorful halos around objects. They are created by the bending, scattering, and interference of light, and are influenced by factors like water depth, wind speed, and sunlight angle. These intricate and ever-changing patterns are not only a sight to behold, but also provide valuable information for oceanographers and scientists studying the behavior of light and water.
Johnny Davens
Hi,

I was having a flick around Google maps whilst procrastinating and came across this when I looked at some islands off the Australian coast.

I'm not 100% certain that the pattern is caused by diffraction of the waves passing through the gap between Bernier and Dorre Islands, or simply by the superposition of waves coming in from the ocean through the gap different angles, giving a rounded effect. Anyway, it's a nice image and if someone confirms it, it could make a nice slide in a classroom talk.

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF: did you mean this one?
[attached]

Attachments

• diff.jpg
    diff.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 954
That's the one.

Looks like diffraction to me. The water doesn't look as if it is approching the gap at different angles.

I agree, it looks like classic diffraction.

Also, see the name of the jpeg image file.

Simon, did you just get the picture yourself and call if diff.jpg?

That's right.

The picture is a screen grab from Google-Earth, which I called diff.jpg so I could find it in my picture directory. Apart from cropping and the compression, the image has not been processed (by me). I kept the notes on where GE got the image as well as the lat and long so you good folks could find it for yourself.

The water in the gap is shallow - you can see the shelving. As the deep-water waves approach the islands, they bend towards them so the waves approach the gap almost dead-on. You can also see smaller multiple diffraction around the smaller islets - though I have not seen any obvious interference in there.

Perhaps someone can find an example of interference fringes appearing in waves off the sea around islands? The conditions must exist ... you'd need a bunch of smaller islets in the gap (probably a narrower gap).

That is beautiful flow patterns, here one I found with clouds that I find beautiful. Hope you do to

Attachments

• Aleutian Islands interrupt the airflow, leaving a sort of wake.jpg
    Aleutian Islands interrupt the airflow, leaving a sort of wake.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 607
Nice - those are streamlines though.
Nature produces so much beauty it would quickly overwhelm the thread if people kept posting images. The challenge here is to find diffraction patterns in naturally occurring waves.

I kept the notes on where GE got the image as well as the lat and long so you good folks could find it for yourself.
http://www.uklv.info/g.php

Last edited by a moderator:
For double slit interference, we need a harbour facing the open sea, with a narrowed harbour mouth (or two sea walls) and a rocky island slap bang in the middle of the entrance. Any candidates come to mind? :smile:

Botany Bay, in eastern Australia, exhibits a good diffraction pattern in this aerial photo.

here's another Australian one from just up the NSW coast from home
found this on google Earth when i was doing searches for microwave radio sites for sea path transmissions

attachment.php?attachmentid=41659&stc=1&d=1323245296.jpg

complete with intereference patterns from multiple diffractions

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• Wave refraction and intereference patterns Seal Rock NSW.jpg
    Wave refraction and intereference patterns Seal Rock NSW.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 9,212
Both of those 'double slit' waves are very cool. I guess it's going to be quite hard to find one that exhibits a perfect pattern due to the slight lack of coherency in this kind of wave!

NascentOxygen said:
For double slit interference, we need a harbour facing the open sea, with a narrowed harbour mouth (or two sea walls) and a rocky island slap bang in the middle of the entrance. Any candidates come to mind? :smile:

Pulau Pangkor, Malaysia, might do it.

PatrickPowers said:
Pulau Pangkor, Malaysia, might do it.
A tiny island? It's clouded under.

1. What are natural oceanic diffraction patterns?

Natural oceanic diffraction patterns are the result of light waves interacting with the surface of the ocean. These patterns appear as a series of light and dark bands caused by the interference of the waves as they pass through small openings or around objects in the water.

2. What causes natural oceanic diffraction patterns?

The patterns are caused by the bending and spreading of light waves as they pass through openings or around objects in the water. This bending and spreading, known as diffraction, creates the distinct light and dark bands that make up the patterns.

3. Where can natural oceanic diffraction patterns be seen?

These patterns can be observed in any body of water, from the ocean to lakes and rivers. They are most commonly seen in areas with calm, clear water and a consistent light source, such as sunlight or moonlight.

4. Do the patterns change over time?

Yes, natural oceanic diffraction patterns can change over time due to factors such as changes in water depth, wind and current patterns, and the movement of objects in the water. They may also vary in appearance depending on the angle and intensity of the light source.

5. What is the significance of studying natural oceanic diffraction patterns?

Studying these patterns can provide valuable information about the physical properties of water and how light behaves in different environments. They also have practical applications, such as in oceanography and underwater navigation, where understanding light and water interactions is important.