Why does the Lagrangian have negative potential energy?

In summary, the convention of having F be equal to the negative derivative of potential energy is used in the Lagrangian to directly lead to F=ma, rather than -F=ma. This convention is based on the concept of virtual work and is necessary for the conservation of energy. It is also connected to the minus sign in the relativistic space-time metric.
SamRoss
Gold Member
I am watching Susskind's derivation of Newton's F=ma from the Euler-Lagrange equations (53 minutes in) here for which he uses the Lagrangian of kinetic energy minus potential energy. I have seen this done elsewhere as well. As far as I can tell, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the only reason to do this is because by convention we define F as the negative of the derivative of potential so subtracting potential energy in the Lagrangian will lead directly to F=ma and not -F=ma. I guess my real question is, is there any reason why we can't just change the convention of having F be equal to the negative derivative of potential energy so we would be able to write the Lagrangian as kinetic plus potential energy (as it feels like it should be)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Conventions are arbitrary by definition. The only reason to adopt one is to avoid confusion of yourself or others. I do like to think of a change in energy ΔE=E2-E1 so a convention that allows that seems natural.

Likes 1 person
lurflurf said:
Conventions are arbitrary by definition. The only reason to adopt one is to avoid confusion of yourself or others. I do like to think of a change in energy ΔE=E2-E1 so a convention that allows that seems natural.

The thing is, we always say that energy is conserved. However, total energy is supposed to be kinetic plus potential. If the Lagrangian is kinetic minus potential then we're saying that that's conserved, not energy. Am I missing something?

SamRoss said:
The thing is, we always say that energy is conserved. However, total energy is supposed to be kinetic plus potential. If the Lagrangian is kinetic minus potential then we're saying that that's conserved, not energy. Am I missing something?
If the lagrangian does not depend on time explicitly then the quantity that is conserved is the Hamiltonian. In many cases of interest, the Hamiltonian is infact the total energy.

Likes 1 person
Who said the Lagrangian is conserved?

Likes 1 person
SamRoss said:
I am watching Susskind's derivation of Newton's F=ma from the Euler-Lagrange equations (53 minutes in) here for which he uses the Lagrangian of kinetic energy minus potential energy. I have seen this done elsewhere as well. As far as I can tell, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the only reason to do this is because by convention we define F as the negative of the derivative of potential so subtracting potential energy in the Lagrangian will lead directly to F=ma and not -F=ma. I guess my real question is, is there any reason why we can't just change the convention of having F be equal to the negative derivative of potential energy so we would be able to write the Lagrangian as kinetic plus potential energy (as it feels like it should be)?

you cannot.The original derivation of lagrange eqn. is based on the concept of virtual work which nevertheless uses Newton's law to get the lagrangian eqn. of motion and lagrangian come out to be as [kinetic- potential].

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
The force is defined with the minus because then ## \Delta T = \int F dr = \int (-dU/dr) dr = - \Delta U ##, and then ## \Delta T + \Delta U = 0 ##, which is conservation of energy.

And with that convention, the Lagrangian has to be T - U to match Newton's equations.

Likes 1 person
SamRoss said:
The Lagrangian is not conserved. Its integral (the action) is extremized.

Likes 1 person
Lagrangian is defined that way. Ende.

Djokara said:
Lagrangian is defined that way. Ende.
That's really an insufficient explanation when one can derive lagranges equations of motion and from there find that the lagrangian often takes the form T-V and if not, that still offers no explanation for why one would choose such a definition.

I haven't watched the video, but the minus comes from Hamilton's Principle which kinda says "Of all the possible paths in a time frame the path that is taken is the one that minimizes the time integral of the DIFFERENCE between potential and kinetic energy". I could throw in more fancy terms and make this more precise, but that's what it generally states. Mathamatically it looks like: [tex]{\delta \int_{t_i}^{t_f} (T-U) dt=0}[/tex].

We expand this concept along with general coordinates to get the lagragian. Since you're watching classical mechanic videos, i don;t think i need to go any further!

" path that is taken is the one that minimizes the time integral"
Incorrect.
Variational principles, such as the Hamiltonian, or for that matter Luke's variational principle in fluid mechanics yield the equations of motion as the condition for a STATIONARY "value" of the integral, not necessarily a minimizing value.

True, but the catch phrase is "principle of least action", and often it is a minimum, so it is kind of a "fine print" caveat.

I don't know whether this is helpful, or not, but there's a way to see that the minus sign is actually connected with the minus sign appearing in the relativistic space-time metric.

Relativistically, we combine the energy [itex]E[/itex] and the momentum [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] into a 4-vector [itex]P[/itex]. We combine a spatial distance [itex]\delta \vec{x}[/itex] and a temporal separation [itex]\delta t[/itex] into a 4-vector [itex]\delta X[/itex]. The action for a particle with energy-momentum 4-vector [itex]P[/itex] traveling through a spacetime interval [itex]\delta X[/itex] is given by: [itex]P \cdot \delta X = \vec{p} \cdot \vec{\delta x} - E \delta t[/itex], which we can rewrite as [itex](\vec{p} \cdot \vec{v} - E) \delta t[/itex], where [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is the velocity [itex]\frac{\delta \vec{x}}{\delta t}[/itex].

If the particle is moving slowly compared to the speed of light, then we can write, approximately:

[itex]\vec{p} = m \vec{v}[/itex]
[itex]\vec{E} = \frac{1}{2} m v^2 + U[/itex]

So the action becomes
[itex](\vec{p} \cdot \vec{v} - E) \delta t = (m v^2 - (\frac{1}{2} m v^2 + U)) \delta t = (\frac{1}{2} m v^2 - U) \delta t[/itex]

If you assume the force derived from the gradient of a potential U, then the Newton's equation can be recasted as the Euler-Lagrange equation where you define the Lagrangian as [tex] \mathcal{L} = T - U. [/tex]
The Euler-Lagrange equation is really similar to a solution of the principle of the least action people used in optics (see Maupertuis's work for instance), and that's why they defined the action in classical mechanics, and consequently the Hamiltonian via the canonical formalism defining the total energy as [tex] \mathcal{H} = T + U. [/tex]

If L is defined as T+U then the conserved quantity associated with time translation invariance would be the weird looking T-U.

1. Why is the Lagrangian defined with negative potential energy?

The Lagrangian is defined with negative potential energy in order to ensure that the equations of motion derived from it are consistent with the principle of least action. This principle states that a system will follow the path that minimizes the action, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over time. By defining the Lagrangian in this way, the equations of motion will naturally tend towards minimizing the potential energy, leading to physically realistic results.

2. Can the Lagrangian have positive potential energy?

Technically, yes, the Lagrangian can have positive potential energy. However, this would result in equations of motion that do not follow the principle of least action and could lead to unphysical behavior. Therefore, it is convention to define the Lagrangian with negative potential energy to ensure that the equations of motion are consistent with the principle of least action.

3. How does negative potential energy affect the dynamics of a system?

Negative potential energy affects the dynamics of a system by introducing a restoring force that pulls the system towards the equilibrium point. This restoring force is proportional to the negative gradient of the potential energy, resulting in the system oscillating around the equilibrium point. This is a fundamental concept in many areas of physics, including classical mechanics and electromagnetism.

4. Is there a physical interpretation of negative potential energy?

Negative potential energy does not have a physical interpretation in and of itself. Instead, it is a mathematical construct used to simplify the equations of motion and ensure that they follow the principle of least action. However, the potential energy itself can have physical interpretations depending on the system being studied. For example, in the case of a mass-spring system, the potential energy represents the elastic potential energy stored in the spring.

5. Are there any real-world examples of negative potential energy?

Yes, there are several real-world examples of negative potential energy. One common example is a simple pendulum, where the potential energy is defined as -mgh, with h being the height of the pendulum and g being the acceleration due to gravity. Another example is a mass-spring system, where the potential energy is defined as -1/2kx^2, with k being the spring constant and x being the displacement from equilibrium. In both of these cases, the negative potential energy results in a restoring force that brings the system back towards equilibrium.