Any book recommendations to a physics layman?

In summary, the conversation is about a person's interest in physics and their search for easy-to-understand books on topics such as EPR paradox, entanglement, quantum physics, and unification theories. They mention books by authors such as Brian Greene, Lee Smolin, Isaac Asimov, John Gribbin, and Stephen Hawking. Other suggestions for pop-sci books and authors are also mentioned, such as George Gamow and "The Universe in a Nutshell". The conversation concludes with a discussion on the quality of books by different authors and recommendations for a layman's approach to understanding physics.
teferkl
I've been reading a lot about physics on the web, which has got me curious. Particularly about things like the EPR paradox, entanglement, quantum physics, unification theories, supersymmetry, etc...you know, all the interesting stuff. I just want dumbed down books on all this stuff because it's all so interesting and I won't be able to understand much of the math. I was thinking about "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene or "The Fabric of the Cosmos" also by Brian Greene. But I've kinda been turned off by those because of all the controversy over string theory like the book "The Trouble With Physics: The Rise of String Theory, The Fall of a Science, and What Comes Next" by Lee Smolin.

So, what do you guys recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
Understanding Physics by Isaac Asimov should be simple enough.

I've found Hawking's "A brief history of time" to be a very interesting book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0553380168/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Also, I remember the book "Black holes, Wormholes and Time Machines" being very good, although it's been about five or six years since I read it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0750305606/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For pop-sci books, I find local libraries to be well stocked. Go to the section on physics and there will be tons of popular science books you don't need much of a mathematical background to understand (indeed, it's sometimes hard to find the more mathematical ones!).

Edit: Note that both these books are a little dated, (1998 and 1999 publishing dates respectively), but I consider them to still be very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should do a search on "layman" or "laymen" in this forum. You should find lots of threads.

You may also want to try "The Universe in a Nutshell".

Hawking has made his best-seller even more straightforward, retitling it "A Briefer History of Time". The hardback is rather nice, with some good pictures.

To go a little bit further, Brian Greene's books are, actually, very good. Gribbin tends to go off at tangents, which may confuse the lay reader. Greene covers the basics very well, and his style is very good. He doesn't push string theory too hard and mentions other ideas.

I find Hawking's books (even Hawking himself) to be overrated. I think there are better books to be read on physics, even for the layman.

1. What are some good introductory books on physics for someone without a background in the subject?

Some recommended books for beginners in physics include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" by Carlo Rovelli, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

2. Are there any books that explain complex physics concepts in an easy-to-understand manner?

Yes, there are several books that aim to explain complicated physics concepts in a more approachable way. Some examples include "The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick and Art Huffman.

3. Are there any books that focus specifically on a certain branch of physics?

Yes, there are many books that delve into specific areas of physics, such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, or relativity. Some well-regarded titles in these fields include "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson, "The Quantum Universe" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw, and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene.

4. Are there any books that provide a historical perspective on the development of physics?

Absolutely. "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by Thomas Kuhn and "The Age of Entanglement" by Louisa Gilder are just a couple of examples of books that explore the history of physics and how our understanding of the subject has evolved over time.

5. Are there any books that explore the philosophical implications of physics?

Yes, there are several books that delve into the philosophical questions and implications raised by physics. Some notable titles include "The Tao of Physics" by Fritjof Capra, "The Hidden Reality" by Brian Greene, and "The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow.