Finding the Centre of Mass and Toppling Point of a Spinning Top

• Thread starter vic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuts
In summary, a uniform solid spinning top has the shape of an inverted right circular cone of radius 3r and height 4r surmounted by a right circular cone of base radius 3r and height 6r. The position of the centre of mass is (75/11)r from the apex of the cone, and if the top is placed with the curved surface of the cone on a horizontal plane, it will topple. The calculation for the centre of mass involves finding the integral of the cross-sectional area of the top, which can be simplified by using normalized length units.
vic

A uniform solid spinning top has the shape of an inverted right circular cone of radius 3r and height 4r surmounted by a right circular of base radius 3r and height 6r. Find the position of the centre of mass of the spinning top and hence show that if it is placed with the curved surface of the cone on a horizontal plane the top will topple.

This is my answer
y = 0 by symmetry

54[Pi]r^3 (3r) + 3[Pi]r^2 (7r) = [54 [Pi] r^3 + 3[Pi] r^2] x

54r^2 + 7r = (18r + 1) x

x = (54 r^2 + 7r) /(18r +1)

But the textbook says the answer is (75/33)r from joint face :confused:

Please Help me. :bugeye:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I got the same answer as the book. To make it easy I used normalized length units with one of my units equalling "4r" of their units. Here's a really quick rough outline of my calculations.

x_c = integral(x f(x) dx) / integral(f(x) dx), where f(x) is the density function, normalized to any level you want.

integral(x f(x) dx) = integral(x^3, x=0..1) + integral(x,x=1..2.5) = 23/8

integral( f(x) dx) = integral(x^2, x=0..1) + integral(1, x=1..2,5) = 11/6

So x_c = 23*6/(11*8) in my normalized units.

In the original units that x_c = (69/11)r from the cones apex which is (25/11)r from the join.

Last edited:
How do you know that f(x) is x^2 +1 ??

vic said:
How do you know that f(x) is x^2 +1 ??

It's not, but all you need is something that is propotional to the true density since the center of mass will be the same whether it's made of lead or plastic, so long as it's the same uniform material throughout. Actually it's only the linear density I'm considering here, that is mass per unit length, that's all you need consider due to the symmetry in the other two dimensions.

So the linear density, "f(x)", is just a function proportional to the cross-sectional area at the position "x". That's all you need to do and it makes the problem fairly easy.

I made it even easier by choosing length unit of 1 unit = 4r of the original length units. This makes the width of the cylindrical portion be exactly 1 unit and the width of the conic portion changing linearly from 0 units to one unit width over a length of exactly one unit.

So in terms of my length units the cross-section of the conic part is proportional to x^2 and the cross-section of the cylindrical section is proportional to unity (with the same constant of proportionality in each case).

So actually the function I used for f(x) was :

f(x) = x^2 : for 0 <= x <= 1
f(x) = 1 : for 1 < x <= 2.5
f(x) = 0 : otherwise

Last edited:
I got it now. Thanks a lot. :)

1. What does the phrase "driving me nuts" mean?

The phrase "driving me nuts" is an idiom that means causing someone to feel extremely agitated, irritated, or frustrated.

2. How did the phrase "driving me nuts" originate?

The origin of the phrase "driving me nuts" is unclear, but it is believed to have originated in the early 20th century as a slang term for someone causing annoyance or insanity.

3. Can stress really cause someone to feel like they are going nuts?

Yes, stress can have a significant impact on mental health and can cause symptoms such as feeling overwhelmed, anxious, or out of control, which can make someone feel like they are going "nuts". It is important to seek help if you are experiencing these symptoms.

4. How can someone cope with the feeling of being driven nuts?

Some ways to cope with the feeling of being driven nuts include practicing relaxation techniques, talking to a trusted friend or therapist, engaging in physical activity, and trying to identify and address the source of stress or frustration.

5. Is there a way to prevent the feeling of being driven nuts?

While it is impossible to completely prevent stress and frustration in life, there are ways to manage and cope with these feelings. This can include practicing self-care, setting boundaries, and seeking support when needed.