Thermodynamics Hydrostatic Pressure as Function of Height Question

In summary, the pressure at any point on the bottom of the left figure is the same as the pressure at the bottom of the right figure (without the plates). Pascal's principle requires that the pressure in a fluid be the same in all directions, so the pressure at any point on the bottom of the left figure is the same as the pressure at the bottom of the right figure.
f8pc
How is hydrostatic pressure not a function of the shape of the container? My professor says that the pressure P2 is the same for the figures on the right and left. How does the area of the two sections not matter at all? Clearly, if a plate is inserted of negligible mass, thickness, and buoyancy, the pressure at P2 is not equal (see work under each figure). If the forces without the plate aren't distributed across the area of the bottom pool, then the pressure on the far left or far right of of the bottom pool of the left figure would only be pg*h2 and not pg*(h1+h2).

[PLAIN]http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/6066/hydrostaticpressure.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
f8pc said:
Clearly, if a plate is inserted of negligible mass, thickness, and buoyancy, the pressure at P2 is not equal (see work under each figure).
I don't understand your logic with the movable plate (is it surrounded by fluid?). But if you want to understand how the pressure at the bottom of each container can be the same, be sure to consider that the walls of the container also exert a pressure--in particular, the 'ceiling' of the container on the left exerts a downward pressure on the fluid.

Hmm, but the pressure the ceiling puts on the fluid is not that great because it is only a result of the long column of vertical water. The area of the ceiling is quite large so the distribution of the forces from the vertical column would make the force is exerts rather small?Yes, the plates are free to move and are completely surrounded by water. The ceiling in the left picture wouldn't be pushing on the plate as the water above it would push it down.

The ultimate goal of this question is to determine why the pressure at any point on the bottom of the left figure is the same as the pressure at the bottom of the right figure (without the plates. The plates only explain my thinking).

f8pc said:
Hmm, but the pressure the ceiling puts on the fluid is not that great because it is only a result of the long column of vertical water. The area of the ceiling is quite large so the distribution of the forces from the vertical column would make the force is exerts rather small?
No, the pressure turns out to be equal at all points at the same level--the ceiling pushes down with a pressure that is equal to the pressure from the long column of water.

Yes, the plates are free to move and are completely surrounded by water. The ceiling in the left picture wouldn't be pushing on the plate as the water above it would push it down.
But the ceiling would be pushing the water down right above the plate. So you're right back where you started.

What's the theory behind the ceiling pushing down with pressure equal to the long column of water? Where can I read about why that occurs and why it is equal? Thanks for the quick responses by the way. This was driving me nuts.

It's clear the plates change the system then if the ceiling is pushing down so I am happy to throw that out. I was assuming the only pressure would be from the long column above and the water below.

f8pc said:
What's the theory behind the ceiling pushing down with pressure equal to the long column of water? Where can I read about why that occurs and why it is equal? Thanks for the quick responses by the way. This was driving me nuts.
It's essentially Pascal's principle--that the pressure in a fluid (at least in the static case) must be the same in all directions. A fluid cannot support shear stress (at least an ideal fluid cannot).

It's clear the plates change the system then if the ceiling is pushing down so I am happy to throw that out. I was assuming the only pressure would be from the long column above and the water below.
Think about this: If the ceiling didn't press down on the fluid underneath it, then you could remove it with impunity. What do you think would happen then? (The vertical tube just connecting with an open pool of water.)

Okay, that helps a lot! I wish I could thank you for helping me in a way other than just saying thanks so much! I really appreciate the time you took to answer each of my questions and doing so in a clear and polite way. You're truly an asset to this forum.

FAQ: Thermodynamics Hydrostatic Pressure as Function of Height Question

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, energy, and temperature. It studies how energy is transferred and transformed in physical systems, including the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids.

2. What is hydrostatic pressure?

Hydrostatic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest due to the force of gravity. It is the result of the weight of the fluid above a certain point in a container or within a body of water.

3. How does hydrostatic pressure change with height?

According to the hydrostatic pressure equation, pressure increases with depth or height due to the increasing weight of the fluid above. This means that as you go higher in a fluid column, the pressure increases.

4. What is the relationship between hydrostatic pressure and height?

The relationship between hydrostatic pressure and height is directly proportional, meaning that as the height increases, the pressure also increases. This can be seen through the hydrostatic pressure equation: P = ρgh, where P is pressure, ρ is density, g is gravitational acceleration, and h is height.

5. How does temperature affect hydrostatic pressure?

Temperature does not have a direct effect on hydrostatic pressure, as it is primarily determined by the density and height of the fluid. However, changes in temperature can affect the density of the fluid, which in turn can impact the hydrostatic pressure. For example, a decrease in temperature can cause a decrease in density, resulting in a decrease in hydrostatic pressure.